Sun Visor

JPP

I often see pilot house trucks with sun visors and was wondering if it was dealer stock or after market.  Do they apply to all years, would you see bolt holes on your truck if it had one at one time?  Do they work?

dodge truck 1948 b-1 pilot house shortbox,classic barn find.original 6cyl  runs, image 1

I think they were all installed aftermarket by the dealer or owner. I might be wrong.

Look for fulton visor, they fit all the late 40's early 50's that had a rain gutter around the windshield. They can be adjusted in or out almost 3" to adjust for width.

This one on a 51 plymouth is advertised to fit fords and chevys also.

IMG_20161123_143836764.jpg

Some visors are cool looking....some, not so much....depends on the design of course.

All visors run into problems with higher speeds....so if you're building a freeway truck (60+ mph) I'd get a design that works with that "need4speed". 

I have a bolt-in visor on the COE I'm building, with no adjustment. It will be a problem and I plan to make it removable with, again, no adjustments. 

wouldn't mind seeing a close up of your visor, it does look kinda of elevated.

48D

You also might keep in mind that there are differences in the center mount.  On split windows the mount is attached to the center divider.  On '54. and later, there is a different mount that attaches the visor to the front of the roof.

And, yes, the Fulton brand is the best, I think.  I like them, as well.

image.jpgI built my own centre bracket , I thought the bracket that was attached to the centre of the windscreen was flimsy. Mine is good with no movement at 65 mph . 

I would sell it , I will pull it out of storage and take pictures of it and PM you , my only concern is I am up in Canada and these would be costly to ship ??? IMO 

4 hours ago, fargo52 said:

I would sell it , I will pull it out of storage and take pictures of it and PM you , my only concern is I am up in Canada and these would be costly to ship ??? IMO 

If it is a Fulton, it will come apart fairly easily and that might help.  Pictures would be great.  Thanks

• 2 years later...

First fargo i saw had the visor,thought it was cool. 
so when i bought mine,i have been toying with the idea of building one. 
seems easier to buy one. If Fargo52 still has one and willing to sell, i would be up for a drive..

if i end up building one, i will post up details. 

I have hidden/edited the parts for sale aspect in the last few posts.  Please keep that to PM, classifieds section or at least be more circumspect in the offers.

Besides the obvious stuff like increased wind noise & vibration there is another potential negative with these. Reduced visibility at stoplights. Might be OK if you are vertically challenged. But as much as I do like the look of some of these they would definitely get in the way a lot of the time. This was the deal breaker for me on these visors. I already have to lean forward at some lights to see it go green.

Jeff

I agree completely...I put one on the 49 Plymouth years ago.....and the only plus in the long run as it was a detractor while driving was the resale as the new owner just had to have a car with a visor.....

I have three visors here at the house I have removed from cars I have bought and odds are will not go on the cars ...they just hanging here and there for now....and this is not a ploy to sell them by the way as they are not for sale....they are retained to go with the car if I decide to sell the car it came on....many folks do like these.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

This clever little prism solves the bending down to look up at the traffic light. 
Can be found on epay for about $20. That’s where I got the one I use. 
It works about 70% of the time for me, without my adjusting my viewing angle from the seat. Remember the traffic light used to hang in the center of the intersection, now a days there 2 or more lights hung over the lane across the intersection. So depending on that set back, you may or may not see the light in this prism.

F5D14A8B-F6CD-4A25-9463-15AADD6BFE2A.jpeg

yes that is the trick....if you want yet another device mounted on your car....that to go with the visor, a compass...fuzzy dice....dash mounted fan, spotlight, where does it end?  I guess I am about burnt out on all these things....seems every car has them these days and the real dare to be different is staying stock....lol  Don't get me wrong, if that is what you like I will not say it is wrong by any means...it is imo just over done these days on the old cars.  Maybe I am just burnt out....bling blind if you will.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don’t forget the swamp cooler!

I do like the visor look though. I have an ‘86 ramcharger and I love the way it looks. It’s festooned with every JC whitney accessory available at that time- 4” lift, deezee steps, grab handles, sun visor, tube grille, push bar, spotlights. 

If you bought a modern truck and stuck all that stuff on there with 3m double sided tape I’d think it was pretty silly but for a vintage period correct ‘day 2’ mild custom look I think the accessorized look can be cool as long as it’s tasteful. 

I also like the old man from the lowrider scene type car where instead of an 80s malibu on airbags (yuck) or a 64 impala with crazy paint and hydraulics (cool!) you’ll see a 1940s car with perfect show paint and every chrome accessory, all polished like mirrors. I’m a sucker for that!

How’s it go- a seat for every butt? Or without bad taste we couldn’t have good taste? 

Anyway, post up pics of what you end up doing!