1938 Dodge D10 (Canadian) New Addition

1949 Wraith

I went to look at this 1938 Dodge D10 today and had her trailered home.

The Canadian shorter equivelent of the US D8, I believe (a Plymouth in Dodge clothing).

For a Canadian made car it is suprisingly rust free. It has the long block P25 recently rebuilt, frame off restoration, 12 volt system, radials and a 2.92 rear end.

Hopefully she will be a fun old car.

20170221_180500 (1280x720).jpg

20170221_180114 (1280x720).jpg

20170221_180002 (1280x720).jpg

20170221_175828 (1280x720).jpg

• Like 6

How come something that nice never follows ME home?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

How come something that nice never follows ME home?

Your preaching to the choir, I would be thrilled to just find a complete car!  LOL

Pretty nice car.  I see you have a 49 so you are familiar with our favourite flathead.   I would like to know how you  like the 2.92 rear ratio.Seems a little tall to me especially if your Canadian  engine is the original 201 which had a 3 3/8 bore and a 3 3/4 stroke.  years ago I helped build a 201 bored to 3 7/16 with the 3 3/4 stroke.  It ran really well but I expected it to rev a little higher.  It didn't really behave any different from a 218.

The US models were longer through the rear door opening and perhaps in the quarter window.

6 hours ago, dpollo said:

Pretty nice car.  I see you have a 49 so you are familiar with our favourite flathead.   I would like to know how you  like the 2.92 rear ratio.Seems a little tall to me especially if your Canadian  engine is the original 201 which had a 3 3/8 bore and a 3 3/4 stroke.  years ago I helped build a 201 bored to 3 7/16 with the 3 3/4 stroke.  It ran really well but I expected it to rev a little higher.  It didn't really behave any different from a 218.

The US models were longer through the rear door opening and perhaps in the quarter window.

I was kind of concerned about the rear ratio as well. The car has a freshly rebuilt 218 out of 1954 P25,  the engine seemed nice and strong and the car pulled well and I didn't have to shift out of first at 15 mph. It sure is different than 1949.

I only took it out for a 5 mile test drive and now it needs to have it's safety inspection and the weather to hold for me to get a true feeling of it's capability. Also I will try and confirm what the actual ratio is.

Thanks,  My overdrive cars both have 3.9 ratios.  One is a 230,the other a 251.   In OD, the effective rear drive is 2.7  which is OK when you are rolling and not bad on hills.  I would not want to live with it in city traffic.    Good luck with your new Dodge.

22 hours ago, dpollo said:

Thanks,  My overdrive cars both have 3.9 ratios.  One is a 230,the other a 251.   In OD, the effective rear drive is 2.7  which is OK when you are rolling and not bad on hills.  I would not want to live with it in city traffic.    Good luck with your new Dodge.

So the Dodge completed her safety inspection. Everything was as the previous owner had stated, basically new and rust free, front shoes are only about 1/2 seated and the left front has even been replaced with a right side hub.

The dif part number 2881489 corresponds to an 8 3/4 rear from 1969-1974. I did not see any gear ratio indication unless anyone decifier the other markings, since everything else the previous owner stated I believe it is probably the 2.93 ratio with the Sure Grip.

Driving impressions, for me I think a ratio closer to 3.23 all round would be better. Starting up hill would be easier and generally I drive the back roads around 55 mph which is 39 by the GPS on this car and I could see situations in city driving where you will have to double clutch down into 1st.

I guess I might have to think about a split manifold and possible dual carbs to get that little extra horsepower for these situations.;)

20170222_111101 (1280x720).jpg

20170222_114738 (720x1280).jpg

Sounds like you are off to the races.   On some 8 3/4s I have dealt with, the ratio is on a tag fastened to  a housing bolt. I do not think it is anywhere on the casting.   Happy motoring.

10 hours ago, JerseyHarold said:

Is the entire rear axle from a newer car or just the differential?  If it's only the diff, does it bolt into the original housing without modification?

It is the whole rear axle and differential so you end up with modern hubs and brakes. A new drive shaft had to be manufactured to fit the 3 speed trans. There were lots of widths available on the different model of Chryslers and for this car if looks pretty close to the original so there was little modification for the suspension.

Here is a link showing different widths and ratios for the 8.75 rear end, https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/mus/2004/10/Mopar-8-3-4-inch-rear-ends/1280934.html

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-02-21 at 8:54 PM, 1949 Goat said:

The Canadian shorter equivalent of the US D8, I believe (a Plymouth in Dodge clothing).

The rather crude name for a Plymouth bodied Canadian Dodge is a "PLODGE".

Here is a 1941 Canadian D20 Plymouth bodied Dodge D20

1941 Dodge Coupe & Avro.jpg

2 hours ago, Roadkingcoupe said:

The rather crude name for a Plymouth bodied Canadian Dodge is a "PLODGE".

Here is a 1941 Canadian D20 Plymouth bodied Dodge D20

1941 Dodge Coupe & Avro.jpg

I do have 2 Plodges my '38 D10 and my survivor '49 D32. I must say I do love my US '41 C28.

IMG_4352.JPG

1471295839939 (520x293).jpg

• Like 1

On 2017-02-21 at 10:17 PM, dpollo said:

Yes, on the 1937-38 big Dodge models the rear axle was moved back 3 inches.  Thus the rear doors were wider and the rear quarter windows longer.  The big Dodge extended body was also used on the 1937-38 DeSoto and Chrysler.   In 1940 Chrysler did the same trick on the Plymouth-Dodge body to get the 3" longer DeSoto / Chrysler body.  The 1940 big Dodge used the Plymouth body with a two inch longer hood.

The big Dodge (aka US Dodge) was built in Canada through to and including 1960.  The small Dodge (aka Plodge) was built in the US from 1935 through 1959.  The first small Dodge was the 4 cylinder export 1932 DM based on the Plymouth PB and built only in Detroit.  The second was the Canada-only 1934 DT, based on the Plymouth PE.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, B-Watson said:

Yes, on the 1937-38 big Dodge models the rear axle was moved back 3 inches.  Thus the rear doors were wider and the rear quarter windows longer.  The big Dodge extended body was also used on the 1937-38 DeSoto and Chrysler.   In 1940 Chrysler did the same trick on the Plymouth-Dodge body to get the 3" longer DeSoto / Chrysler body.  The 1940 big Dodge used the Plymouth body with a two inch longer hood.

The big Dodge (aka US Dodge) was built in Canada through to and including 1960.  The small Dodge (aka Plodge) was built in the US from 1935 through 1959.  The first small Dodge was the 4 cylinder export 1932 DM based on the Plymouth PB and built only in Detroit.  The second was the Canada-only 1934 DT, based on the Plymouth PE.

I need this on a sticky note or something, I always get confused on the differences between the US and Canadian models.

Subject to a final inspection, today I spoke for a 39  Chrysler Royal four door. It came from an estate auction, complete with the key in the ignition, original two tone paint, and a usable original rear seat. The  motor has not been touched, it may start and I might be able to drive it. A winter project for me. It looks much like this one. Similar tan with a blue green contrasting color. Same dash color and all gauges and knobs.

Edited by pflaming

• 1 month later...

1939 update. Friday I revisited the 1939  Chrysler Royal. While the body is stripped, inside we found all the glass pieces, all usable, all the trim, and the one of a kind tail lights and lens. In the '40's on, the owner was buying up dozens of these cars fresh off the road, just bought and stored. Recently he died and now his kids are selling his collection.  

Maybe I'm irrational, not quite fully adjusted to the newly available marijuana, but I bought the car. He will store it til 10-1 which gives me ample time to finish and sell my suburban, and get my knee fixed. I'm about three weeks from driving the suburban. I would be done but for the extremely sensitive knee. Replacement scheduled after our time in Maine. This is a one year Art Deco body style and only 5000 of these were built.