Transmission options for 37 Plymouth P3

Carmak

I just started working on a 37 P3. The previous owner took the top off of the transmission and let it sit long enough that the gears seized (or he took it off because the trans seized). I am looking for direct bolt in options? What years and models will fit?

I am not looking to convert to a T-5 or other modern transmission at this time.

I know of a 35 or 36 Dodge transmission. Would it fit?

Thanks.

101_1120.jpg

• Like 1

Dissassemble and rebuild.  Its not a difficult tranny.  Gears and even clusters are available.  In any event, 36, 37 Dodge/Plymouth/Desoto for sure with some slight differences in u joints and brake drum band size/width, most of which can be swapped around. (for example 36 Desotos had cross type (i.e. modern) u-joints, Dodge/Plymouth had the harder to balance and weak cup and stick type u joints.)  I believe this top loader three speed was used through 1938/9 in the cars.  When ever they went to column shift, that's a general indication of when trans changed....some variances....i.e. fluid couplings, etc.  But the basic 3 speed top loader was used for 3 to 5 years across makes.

Edited by Sharps40

I'm in Des Moines and have a couple 36 Plymouth transmissions. I'll have to check on the conditions though, worst case I know I've got enough parts laying around to put one together.

17 hours ago, Carmak said:

I just started working on a 37 P3. The previous owner took the top off of the transmission and let it sit long enough that the gears seized (or he took it off because the trans seized). I am looking for direct bolt in options? What years and models will fit?

Thanks.

101_1120.jpg

Hello and welcome, kudos to you wanting to keep a Mopar trans in the line up.

Check with Tim Kingsbury on this website, he can offer you a lot of insight into what can and will work with minimal problems, possibly even some type of early overdrive unit.

Good Luck, and keep us posted...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Carmak said:

Thanks.

101_1120.jpg

The 1936, 37, 38 overdrive out of a Desoto or Chrysler will work. A straight 3 speed the Chrysler and Desoto will work, I am not 100% sure about the Dodge.  The early 1936 and 1935 you don't really want to use.

• Like 2

On 2/8/2017 at 8:46 PM, Carmak said:

He is not looking for a conversion to a "Modern Trans",  you must have missed this.

1 hour ago, Robert Horne said:

Many people on here have installed the T5 trans in their cars. 

I installed a TK5 5 speed Ford Ranger trans, 1983 to 1987, in my 1938 Plymouth, still doing great.

5speed007.jpg

• Like 1

just about all 35 to 39 transmissions will fit.  A 39 will need to have the cover changed  and the position of the park brake

mechanism may be different from the 37.   The internal parts will fit.  The 36 trans should be a bolt-in.

32 minutes ago, dpollo said:

just about all 35 to 39 transmissions will fit.  A 39 will need to have the cover changed  and the position of the park brake

mechanism may be different from the 37.   The internal parts will fit.  The 36 trans should be a bolt-in.

35 wont work, 39 wont work.  Well you can make anything work I realize, but the 39 and some of the 38s have the parking brake on the wrong side and the 39 has other issues. The 35 is an animal on to its own.   I have been down this road a couple of times.

9 hours ago, 50plymouth said:

35 wont work, 39 wont work.  Well you can make anything work I realize, but the 39 and some of the 38s have the parking brake on the wrong side and the 39 has other issues. The 35 is an animal on to its own.   I have been down this road a couple of times.

My 36 and 37 transmissions have the parking brake with the handle coming up through the floor.      My 38s have a cable to operate the parking brake.  All my 36, 37, and 38 transmissions would attach to my 38 bell housings.       I used one of my 38 bell housings on my TK5 speed install.      

8 hours ago, Robert Horne said:

I was just guessing that a 83 to 87 TK5 was just as modern as any 82 to 87 S10 Chevy T5......

No problem Robert, these are all modern transmissions you mention, and not considered desirable by the poster, I am gathering...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Robert Horne said:

My 36 and 37 transmissions have the parking brake with the handle coming up through the floor.      My 38s have a cable to operate the parking brake.  All my 36, 37, and 38 transmissions would attach to my 38 bell housings.       I used one of my 38 bell housings on my TK5 speed install.     

and your point is ?    I think were both on about the same page.. other than there are some 1938 trannys with the parking brake coming off the wrong side. I  have seen 3 or 4 over the years.

14 hours ago, Robert Horne said:

I was just guessing that a 83 to 87 TK5 was just as modern as any 82 to 87 S10 Chevy T5......

I would suggest when the original poster posted and I quote -  "I am not looking to convert to a T-5 or other modern transmission at this time"    .. Your Ranger transmission would be in his list of ones he wasn't looking for.  Im sure you just missed that.

Seems like it was between 1934 and 1935 that they did a little physical work on the bell housing, moving the starter location.

I would think the '35 or '36 trans would fit fine. Or even newer. Does the 1937 have a floor shift or column?

Thinking it is floor shift, my 1949 truck has the 3 on the floor with a 1937 218 engine. I bet something newer then the 37 would fit.

5 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

Seems like it was between 1934 and 1935 that they did a little physical work on the bell housing, moving the starter location.

I would think the '35 or '36 trans would fit fine. Or even newer. Does the 1937 have a floor shift or column?

Thinking it is floor shift, my 1949 truck has the 3 on the floor with a 1937 218 engine. I bet something newer then the 37 would fit.

There were lots of changes, including the introduction of overdrive, which also changed a lot from the 1934-1941 time frame. There is a great blog article by the AoK boys with pictures that gives you an idea.  Now those are overdrives but it will give you an idea

Its floor shift to 1938 and then 1939 has a floor shift or column shift.  But in the 30s they change the emergency brake connection from one side of the car to the other. So can you make an adapter, yes but its not simple.  Your truck  other than it is a floor 3 speed is nothing like what he is looking for, but yes most a lot of 1938s will fit but not all of them.

Maybe the AoK boys could be talked into amending that article or putting up one that showed the different non-overdrive transmissions.  hint hint..

It is easy to change the rear casting so the parking brake  will work.

The synchronizers in  the 39 may be different but in any case, the internals can be swapped  .

• 2 weeks later...
On February 10, 2017 at 3:08 AM, Robert Horne said:

I installed a TK5 5 speed Ford Ranger trans, 1983 to 1987, in my 1938 Plymouth, still doing great.

5speed007.jpg

Looks like a reasonable option. Might do it to my 36.

Edited by Ranger

• 1 year later...
On 2/10/2017 at 3:08 AM, Robert Horne said:

5speed007.jpg

this seems like it might be a good option for my 1950.  i think the shifter might get in the way of my bench seat though. what type of modifications were needed to get this in there?

8 hours ago, belvedere666 said:

this seems like it might be a good option for my 1950.  i think the shifter might get in the way of my bench seat though. what type of modifications were needed to get this in there?

Seat position might certainly be an issue IMHO. I have a 39 Plymouth Sedan with three on the floor. Even with the shifter exiting the trans relatively near the clutch housing, when selecting first the shifter is virtually in the passenger's lap. Remember mine is a RHD car so the shift positions are "the wrong way round" compared with your LHD models. I sure need to be good friends with my passenger!   BTW when I try to paste an emotion on here, it wipes all the text I've just written. Am I being a klutz or is it a bug in the system?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, likaleica said:

Seat position might certainly be an issue IMHO. I have a 39 Plymouth Sedan with three on the floor. Even with the shifter exiting the trans relatively near the clutch housing, when selecting first the shifter is virtually in the passenger's lap. Remember mine is a RHD car so the shift positions are "the wrong way round" compared with your LHD models. I sure need to be good friends with my passenger!   BTW when I try to paste an emotion on here, it wipes all the text I've just written. Am I being a klutz or is it a bug in the system?

might just be you.....:confused:  just put the curser where you want the icon and go to top, pick your poison and clic:cool:k on that icon

5 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

might just be you.....:confused:  just put the curser where you want the icon and go to top, pick your poison and clic:cool:k on that icon

Thanks Plymouthy - I think that's what I did but it went base over apex......could be my connection dropped out momentarily. We've severe winter weather here and it's affecting everything from travel to phone lines and internet.....

I copied the page from my Hollander interchange book for the 37 Plymouth.  Refer to number 113 on the sheet this will tell you alot about which trans will fit.  Hope  this will help

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

37 Ply trans.docx