dual carb choices

kendall

I'm adding an Offy manifold to my 1947 230 and am needing help in deciding which carbs to go with. The least costly would be to find a match to my fully functional carter b&b and have it rebuilt for less than $200. Off provides linkage for this with the manifold. The # stamped above the float bowl is 439s   L7. Does anyone know if both sets of digits are pertinent or perhaps just the L7? I also have a non-functioning ,maybe rebuildable D6G1 that I could find a mate to and have both rebuilt at $400 +/-. At which time should I start looking at Holly or Stromberg alternatives? I'm not looking to improve performance as much as add reliability so 2 single barrels are as good as twin 2 barrels or are they? Recently rebuilt engine with stock cam ,headers thru glaspacks and I plan on an Edgy head so compression will jump.Motor 

Here call George Asche, 1-814-354-2621,

He will rebuilt carbs, and make your linkage, and even make your intake into duals and your exhaust manifold into duals, for a very modest price

I would reckon the stock intake made into duals is  more favorable that an offy intake, just my opinion...

And read this while your at it,

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

George sounds like a good call. I am putting the Offy unit on my 55 pickup. The linkage is setup for cars only. I am having to fab up my own for the truck.

Edited by 59bisquik

My 47's a truck as well. Not much room between firewall and carb #2 although the cross-over linkage is pretty far back. I may tig a 3" +/- arm midway on the Offy. included carb connecting-rod, add a new link with a ball socket on both ends to push up from my existing throttle pivot, relocated below that new arm. I'm hoping to use at least one of the Offy provided holes on the side of the intake and drill another to mount it. Definitely the cheapest way but I may buy the Dale Wilch E-bay set-up but don't like the idea of using one of only two carb mounting bolts for the outriggers.I still need to relocate that pivot regardless. I'm assuming you're using carter ball and ball carb as well.

This is on my old manifold, but this linkage is what I am going to use on the Offy too.The top pic is in the mock up phase, the bottom you see the ready to use linkage. I hope to have it installed on the Offy soon.

Engine 4 2005.jpg

Carb Linkage.JPG

Edited by 59bisquik

Is that 1" wide alum. bar stock that your levers are pivoting on? I like your idea of keeping the works low and close to stock,the way the carb was designed to be activated. Your linkage from your crossover is probably the stock length as well. Only thing I don't see is the throttle  advance cable connection but your truck may not have come with one. I held a straight-edge to my intake and found two holes that have centers that line up,the rear and the center. May not have to add additional mounting holes, just a threaded insert in the larger. Thanks for the photos. My photos are too many MB to download or I'd share.

• 3 weeks later...

My carb rebuilder was recently hospitalized so I'm somewhat on hold. I can't build my throttle linkage without the carbs although I'm projecting locations on my intake manifold with tape and felt-tip pen. The truck runs fantastic as-is so I'm doing a lot of spending and tabletop planning so I can do the whole swap-out in a few days. An electric fuel pump is now installed and a fuel block is in route. I got a call from Edgy and was told there were only two of his heads available so I snagged one. His foundry is shutting down so there may only be "ONE" new aluminum head for sale perhaps until eternity! I just fabricated two air filters only to find a better option on line, bee-hives that would match my oil filter housing.  moved from Tampa to Jax via Miami.I

• 2 weeks later...

George Junior finished my carbs so I went to fabbing my linkage. I intended to tig weld the round mounts to the manifold but my 'temporary' fastening is adequate to be permanent. I'm waiting for some Redline linkage purchased on E-bay and will swap out the nuts for acorns to finish. If my calculations are correct, the lowest triangle will miss hitting my header by 1/4".

IMG_1070.JPG

• 1 month later...