Steering wheel color

st63

Since I have the front end of my '50 P-20 Special Deluxe sedan apart, I figured it would be a good time to restore the old cracked steering wheel.  Very little of the original paint is left on it, and what is there looks like an almond color....much darker than the light cream shade on the wheel of my original '41 coupe.   Looking at photos online shows a variety of both restored and original wheels of varying shades. I haven't found any paint color reference for this, if one even exists. Does anyone happen to know is there was a standard color used, or did it depend on model and trim level? 

Edited by st63
add
  • Like 1

I found a 1973 Valiant colour called Sahara Beige   (also called Parchment on the Chrysler) to be an exact match for 49 to 50 and some 51s notably the convertible.   Seems to me there was not much variety in Steering wheel colours .  Acrylic enamel does a good job.

The Dupont Centari code for Sahara Beige  is 5415 A1   the Chrysler manufacturer's code was L4

These numbers can be crossed over by an auto paint supplier.  

Vinyl Bumper repair (2part) is great for cracks. 

• Like 2

Someday I will have to restore 3 of my wheels.  I was terrified looking at the cracks.  This gives me some hope. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dpollo said:

I found a 1973 Valiant colour called Sahara Beige   (also called Parchment on the Chrysler) to be an exact match for 49 to 50 and some 51s notably the convertible.   Seems to me there was not much variety in Steering wheel colours .  Acrylic enamel does a good job.

The Dupont Centari code for Sahara Beige  is 5415 A1   the Chrysler manufacturer's code was L4

These numbers can be crossed over by an auto paint supplier.  

Vinyl Bumper repair (2part) is great for cracks. 

I called my local DuPont dealer about 2 weeks ago and was informed that the Centari enamel is no longer carried and has been dropped in favor of urethane base paint....the lower line of Nason I was informed one can still get enamel, however..I am not personally fond of Nason...

• Like 1

It is true, Centari was a good product.  I just recently sprayed some which I had kept and was very pleased at how well it went on.The Nason products seem to be very translucent, what used to be called " low hiders" and require a uniform substrate colour.  My true preference for paints was the old air dry Dulux but that is what I first learned to apply and got good results with.

The Centari numbers should still be useful in obtaining the correct colour.  

• Like 1

Trying to keep our D24 close to original, but not being too anal about it.  So, when I paint something on it, I try to get close, but also try to use a readily available color, for small stuff I've been using rattle can paint. Attention to detail and patience yields good results.  Some parts have been painted thusly for over 20 years but look amazingly fresh.  Down side is that even those folks change their colors every so often.  To shorten this story, I've been using Krylon's "Khaki" for those tan parts on the D24.  It's a shade or two lighter than the original, but I like the result.

Steering_Wheel_After.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dan Hiebert said:

Trying to keep our D24 close to original, but not being too anal about it.  So, when I paint something on it, I try to get close, but also try to use a readily available color, for small stuff I've been using rattle can paint. Attention to detail and patience yields good results.  Some parts have been painted thusly for over 20 years but look amazingly fresh.  Down side is that even those folks change their colors every so often.  To shorten this story, I've been using Krylon's "Khaki" for those tan parts on the D24.  It's a shade or two lighter than the original, but I like the result.

Steering_Wheel_After.jpg

I'm with you on this...I keep my cars as original as possible but I'm not a show car guy...close is good.  

• Like 1