Paint color for rear bumper script

Conn47D24

Go to the drug store, go to the fingernail polish section and find something you like.  A lot of folks use the Red from the Testors hobby/model paint selection.  Some will tell you it was not painted from the factory. My dad had  49 and 54 Meadowbrooks, Andi do not recall the fluid drive impression being painted.

1 hour ago, Robin (UK) said:

This is fairly conclusive evidence that there was no paint in the script originally...

1948 Dodge.jpg

What a great photograph.  Really good quality considering that it was taken about 70 years ago....

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rb1949 said:

Maybe yes, maybe no.

D24 Bumper.jpg

Painting the emblem red really makes it stand out nicely.

• Like 1

these cars are big and the lines of the body make it such that the trim and painted accents of the trim is what really distinguish these lines and make the car pop...any attention to this detail will make a big difference and the slight variation in red when painted will often darken in time as it is when aged...do your best and you cannot go wrong....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

these cars are big and the lines of the body make it such that the trim and painted accents of the trim is what really distinguish these lines and make the car pop...any attention to this detail will make a big difference and the slight variation in red when painted will often darken in time as it is when aged...do your best and you cannot go wrong....

I agree 100% it really does help a lot.

I did the red on my 39 Desoto and used pin striping paint. It runs on better and easy to blend with the brush strokes.  My car did have factory red on the various emblems and also on the hubcaps on the name of DeSoto and a red trim ring on the last ring on the dishbowl hubcap.

Rich hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Conn47D24 said:

My plan now is to try and match the red on my hubcaps best I can.  Rich, good call on the pin striping paint. 

:)

The hard part is that over the years original paint fades and or also gets darker with age and if the painted area has been exposed to a lot of sunlight and the elements. So i would just use a red pin striping paint and a red that you like and use that. remember the people that knew these cars are getting older and will not really know what the original shade of any color that use used.  Sometimes we just have to use what is available during this current time period.

Rich hartung

• Like 1