OD transmission oil

meadowbrook

I know nothing personally,but if it were me,I'd use 15W-40 Amsoil or the equivalent.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, meadowbrook said:

Hi folks, any recommendations on the oil to use in a Borg Warner R7 overdrive? I bought mine from that guy in Venus, PA and he recommended 15w40 Amsoil. 

I would ask Tim Kingsbury or George, one of those guys will know for sure.  I know that the Fluid drives use non detergent 10w oil.  And I need to find out what a R7 uses for my transmission if I use it in one of my cars.  

Please keep me in the loop when you solve this mystery.

• Like 1

I believe the guy mentioned in Venus, Pa. Is George.

One of the AoK boys- Now Tim K.. and George.

Best,

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
  • Like 2

I am using GL1 rated mineral oil., Took me a while to find it but a farm implement place had plenty. I read about issues with the bronze syncros not liking "modern oil".

Martybose, correct on NAPA IF you are in the U.S.  My particular NAPA is the Canadian division, with a good guy behind the counter but this oil was unobtainable to my Canadian location. I showed my guy the website....there it is....there is the GL1 rated oil....he then educated me on the Canadian NAPA website verses the U.S.  Yours is better.

Darn shame about that laynrubber, I just picked up 2 us gal @ $11.25 each  ( with Auto Club discount ) from the NAPPA  in So Cal. Even the guys behind the counter never heard of it. I had to show them in their own catalog then, I had to find it on the shelf ( that's why I bought 2).

• Like 1

I've ran just about everything non-synthetic off the shelf in the 75-90w area, gl-1, 3, 4, 5, hypoid, non-hypoid, etc.. I think there's 85-90w gl-1 in it now, 50,000-60,000ish miles and only problem I ever had was losing a tooth on 2nd while trying to speed shift years ago.

I tend to follow the manufacturer's recommended lubricants - use hypoid in the differential, not for the transmission.:)