51 plymouth suburban heater.

Los_Control

I have one that is mounted under the drivers seat. I am curious if this was standard location or a option on these cars.

Not sure what to think of the location. I suppose it helps heat the rear passenger area better. But sitting on top of the heater, would seem to be hot and uncomfortable. I would be tempted to turn the heater way down or almost off.

My wife on the other hand ... probably never get her out of the car.

under the seat was an optional location for install.  Back in the day some cars did not come with heaters and were installed aftermarket and depending on what aftermarket bought, the style and location of mounting choices.  Nothing wrong with an under a seat unit...just might take a bit getting used to it being there. 

• Like 1

Pontiacs of the early 50’s had the heater core under the front seat on the driver’s side. It provided heat pretty evenly thru out the entire interior of the car, which is why I’m guessing they put it there rather than the more conventional position of under the dash against the firewall. The tubing for the water transfer was steel, with a short length of rubber between each tube and the engine, which was either a flathead 6, or a flathead straight-8. As for excessive heat under the driver’s butt, it wasn’t ever an issue. I drove a ’54 Pontiac “back in the day”, and never had that problem. Thx.

Oldmopar – If that’s the case, and I’m certainly not going to dispute your word, since I don’t have any experience with early-fifties Chrysler products, than just what does he have??? I’ve never heard of an aftermarket heater that was positioned underneath the front seat, altho’ I guess that’s possible . . .  Anything’s possible, right??? Thx.

There were several options for 49 t0 52 and they were as oldmopar says.   I saved a Pontiac under-seat heater for years thinking I might use it but never have.   The lowest cost option had the entire unit under the dash whereas the others had under hood radiators and the top of the line had a separate fan for the defrost.  So far as I know, all heaters were installed by the dealer ( after the cars were shipped from the factory)

interesting that it had a under the hood heater also. I have not  got the hood open on this thing yet. So have not seen.

Hood latch is bent and when you pull it to you, run out of room because it is bent.  Will be a creative process to get the hood open.

Add rust and weather. Maybe when the sun comes out it will open itself.