6v to 12v Conversion Kits???

Guest wrightkoss

1 hour ago, Dustin Baker said:

And correct me if I’m wrong… I believe this is a 1954 dodge c1 job rated deluxe. Grandpas truck .HEIC

Yep.  54  cab and 55-6 are alike except for a-pillar, door and windshield.     57-60 are the Same basic cab but added hanging pedals and firewall mounted master.  
I hope mine looks that good when done. 

Sounds to me like the Guy heard the smoking starter part of the story and immediately assumed the fields and may armature windings are shot.   A ‘normal’ rebuild entails turning the commutator, replacing brushes and bushings. Not much else.  That’s why some folks think it cheaper.  Can be, may not be if rewinding is needed. 

Edited by kencombs

Just now, kencombs said:

Sounds to me like the Guy heard the smoking starter part of the story and immediately assumed the fields and may armature windings are shot.   A ‘normal’ rebuild entails turning the commutator, replacing brushes and bushings. Not much else.  That’s why some folks think it cheaper.  Can be, may not be if rewinding is needed. 

It is very possible the starter is not rebuild-able. They may need to find a used one and see if it works or send the used one to the shop as a core for rebuild while it is out.

Not my budget to suggest what to do. ...... Either way it still has nothing to do with converting to 12 volts. They are different circuits and the starter does not care either way ....yet you still need a working starter. ..... If the charging system is working fine, there is no need to convert it. Just because you have a bad starter.

One has nothing to do with the other ..... why I think the old gentleman was confusing the phone call thinking he was talking about a generator instead of a starter.

A quick 1 minute google search for a 1954 Dodge truck 218 6v starter came up with this at the top of the list.

https://www.amazon.com/Assembled-Meadowbrook-Plymouth-Belvedere-Cambridge/dp/B079QHQR7F

$260 brand new & claims to be made in USA. But it is for a car and requires a solenoid & push button added to the truck.

While Amazon is selling it, sometimes you can look through the  add and find who is making it. Then call them directly to see if they would have a 6v truck starter.

Or search longer to find the actual truck starter. .... Seems new starters are available .... is another 12v mini starter for $275 that would fit but require 12v conversion.

I truly appreciate all the help and knowledge. I am going to get a second opinion on the starter and change out my battery cable size… I just hate how I have to leave the truck on a battery tender 24/7 cause there is a draw on the battery somewhere. If it sits for 30 min without a charger it dies. That was the main reason I was gonna go to 12v. As a commercial electrician, I thought running your positive through the metal of the truck was a terrible idea. But now I’m thinking maybe I should keep it. 

I'm pretty sure a shop will have to open it up & check it out for it's condition before deciding if it can be rebuilt. Not something they can tell you over the phone.

There are a lot of these motors out there, they were sold in vehicles in the USA until 1959. They were still produced up til the mid 1970's for farm & industrial use as well as airport tugs. There are still a lot out there they are not made of unobtainable.

No sense in looking for a replacement yet, first find out if yours can be rebuilt.

1 hour ago, Dustin Baker said:

there is a draw on the battery somewhere. If it sits for 30 min without a charger it dies.

I'm pretty fair with residential electricity ..... I suck at automotive wiring .... kinda the same but different.

30 minute sounds like a pretty heavy draw, not many things that could drain that fast .... I'm guessing headlights or amp gauge wiring. I dunno.

Does this truck have the original cloth wiring or has it been replaced?

If it is original cloth covered wire then it is probably time to replace it. The 70 year old cloth just falls off leaving exposed wire that can ground out somewhere.

So if you find the bad spot you can cover it with black tape for now ... you bump the wire next to it and then it falls apart and needs work also .... You can nurse it along for awhile until ready to rewire it .... or just start replacing 1 wire at a time.

IMG_0786.JPG

If you want to keep the wiring stock also, you can purchase a quality cloth covered wiring harness for the truck and just install that. Will not be cheap.

Maybe Grandpa already replaced it?

It may simply be the battery.  Remove the ground cable, charge the battery, let it sit for ten minutes for the voltage to stabilize and take a voltage reading.  Leave it sit overnight with the ground cable still off and take another voltage reading.  Thar should tell you if you have a battery that won't hold a charge or if you actually have a drain.

A 30 minute battery drain should be leaving some electrical component warm to the touch and will have to be located.  That's a fire waiting to happen.

• Like 1

I just replaced the battery recently so I don’t think it’s that. I am going to get the starter over to the shop and see what they will quote me.. could I use the core of a push button starter and put it in my petal starter? I’m struggling to find a petal starter online anywhere 

Just because a battery has recently been replaced doesn't mean it's good or is a fresh battery. It should have a date code on it, either a letter and 2 numbers or 1 or 2 number/ two numbers, not the warranty punchout date.  Troubleshooting is done by testing.  You can test the battery while the starter is off being refurbished.  Your battery status then becomes a fact instead of an "I don't think it's that".

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, good news, bad news… the starter was rebuilt, and with a new switch, works great now. However, bad news, I was loading it on a trailer, and my exhaust pipe scraped the trailer and broke the exhaust manifold pot metal right where the pipe bolts up to the manifold.. any advice on where to get a new exhaust/intake manifold?