54 dodge pickup floor pans

One thing I have noticed on these old trucks, the metal work is pretty straight forward.

I need to practice my welding skills, no doubt about that. I figure the floor is the perfect place to do it.

I have some rust in the rear of my cab, and a bit on the inside floor as well. This includes the passenger side rear mount.

And I have a extra cab that is pretty much rust free and would be a excellent donor for floor replacement.

The problem is, I cant justify in my head to cut up the other cab, to replace these simple flat metal spots on my 49 cab. Just go to the metal mart and by some sheets and cut out the shapes I need and recreate the rusted metal.

Your 1954 may have more swoopy details and it may be more complex, but if you just look at one area at a time and fix that, move on to the next you will get it.

Make the floor, then make a cab mount.

Unless you plan to show the truck, you may want to perfect the details. You put some undercoating on the bottom, paint and carpet inside, is nobody going to see where you made a boo boo while sharpening your welding skills.

3 hours ago, 59bisquik said:

That looks like them but they don't have the body mounts section that's what it rusted out on my both corners 

4 hours ago, Los_Control said:

One thing I have noticed on these old trucks, the metal work is pretty straight forward.

I need to practice my welding skills, no doubt about that. I figure the floor is the perfect place to do it.

I have some rust in the rear of my cab, and a bit on the inside floor as well. This includes the passenger side rear mount.

And I have a extra cab that is pretty much rust free and would be a excellent donor for floor replacement.

The problem is, I cant justify in my head to cut up the other cab, to replace these simple flat metal spots on my 49 cab. Just go to the metal mart and by some sheets and cut out the shapes I need and recreate the rusted metal.

Your 1954 may have more swoopy details and it may be more complex, but if you just look at one area at a time and fix that, move on to the next you will get it.

Make the floor, then make a cab mount.

Unless you plan to show the truck, you may want to perfect the details. You put some undercoating on the bottom, paint and carpet inside, is nobody going to see where you made a boo boo while sharpening your welding skills.

Yep I might just have to do that but it would be a lot easier to find some ready to go and weld in...I'm making it a ratrod so really not looking show quality 

I'm just finishing floor pans in my suburban. I cut cardboard panels, trimmed them to fit, then from the patterns I make pans from whatever metal I could find. To confirm they were correct, I installed them with self tapping metal screws, trimmed, heated, and formed them to fit. Then removed them, and painted/undercoated each piece for reinstall. I reused the  metal screws to reinstall, later will weld in, then remove the metal screws. If you have an area that is sagging, put a floor jack under and raise or in minor areas, used a picture mount t;hat  you would use in dry wall. Pull the pieces together and weld or . . . .   This is not rocket science but it is a lot of HARD work.  Good luck. Mine will eventually be covered with some sort of dyna max, then a carpet, etc. so this is not for an ad for Maiden Form Bras, if you get my jist!  

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1