Custom wheel work

st63

Can anyone recommend a GOOD custom wheel shop that can do rim widening?  I used Stockton wheel many years ago for other wheel work but it seems that they are unreliable these days.    I want to switch to is the Yokohama RY215 7R15 blackwall, which is very close to the O.E. size of 6.70x15 in terms of tread contact, overall width and height for my 1950 P20 sedan.  (I tried the Coker Bias Look Radial in O.E. size...not happy with the quality) The only hangup is that it is recommended for a minimum rim width of 5", while my stock rims are 4 1/2".    I know folks who run even wider radials on stock rims, but I'd rather not push my luck with a 70 year old rim, and I figure the tire company put their specs in writing for a reason.   I've considered Wheel Vintiques, but I don't want to have to grind off the rivets on my stock hubs, and all their 15 x 5 wheels also have a much shallower backspace than O.E.     Seems the best solution is to have the original rims widened to 5"...and the bonus is that the stock poverty caps will still fit.  Any leads or recommendations would be appreciated!       

Edited by st63

Stockton Wheel would have been my best bet but I understand that there are new owners as of several years ago, too bad if the quality is no longer there. Had a long and Good rep.

I might say try a phone call to have new rims built to your specs? Either Wheel Vintiques (if they do that) or maybe-

http://www.petepaulsen.com/catalog/oem.html.

Located in Lodi Ca. and have also been around quite a few years, a call to see if they can build what you want!  Do not think they will redo yours?  but their web page does not say either way.

DJ

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, st63 said:

I've considered Wheel Vintiques, but I don't want to have to grind off the rivets on my stock hubs, and all their 15 x 5 wheels also have a much shallower backspace than O.E.     Seems the best solution is to have the original rims widened to 5"...and the bonus is that the stock poverty caps will still fit.  Any leads or recommendations would be appreciated!       

One solution is to just drill a hole for rim locator pin in your new wheels. When i got to Ga to pick up the 55 DeSoto parts car I bought that was supposedly ready to roll on my trailer,I discovered it was sitting in a goat pen in a back yard,and had been there long enough the rims had settled into the dirt and the bottoms were rusted off. Since it would have taken more time and money to pull off the rotten tires,wire brush the rusty wheels,but new tubes,and hope it worked than to just replace them all,I went to a junkyard and bought 4 15 inch wheels with tires already mounted and holding air. Had no idea what they were taken off of,but they were 15 inch,5x4.5 inch bolt pattern,and the center hole was big enough to allow the axle ends to fit. IIRC,I paid 10 bucks each for them.

Went back to where the car was sitting,jacked it up one tire at a time,and used my battery drill to drill locator holes in each wheel as I put it on.

Don't know what to tell you about backspacing. All I can say is that this has never been a problem for me in all my years of swapping tires and rims unless I was putting a old rim on a modern vehicle with disc brakes. Also,I never tired to put any tire on a old one that was bigger than 2.35 x 75 or 78 x15. Lookf for rims that came off of mid-sized cars or regular half-ton pu's,and the tires should be short and narrow enough to clear.

Maybe go to a junkyard with a tape measure and a flat bar and measure the backspace on the wheels there to make sure you have enough room to keep the tires you are buying  from rubbing the wheelwell or the fender?

• Like 1

BTW,you might also consider going to a place that specializes in tires and wheels. Changing backspaces or rim widths by just removing the center and moving it in or out for clearance is no big deal. I once had 16 inch 39 Ford wide wheel centers like these cut out and mounted in 8 inch wide 15 inch    getdata.php.jpg  

Ford outer rims to put on a 36 Ford convertible I used to own back in the 60's.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 1

Axle Wheel & Alignment Company, 126 North Washington Street, Wichita, Kansas 67202, 316.263.0213.

When I lived there, I damaged a Cragar wheel, and they repaired it almost as good as new (the chrome was compromised, and they don’t do chroming – for that I took it the wheel to Wichita Bumper, and that turned out great, too, but that’s another story for another time...). I haven’t lived there for many years, so I don’t know if they still service wheels, but it’s worth a phone call, and if they don’t, maybe they can refer you to someone who can. Just an idea . . .  Thx.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Speedway motors sells rim shells, but I think 8" is the narrowest. I plan to get a couple and press my centers in to the backspace I want and weld them up. I already drilled the rivits out of a couple of bent rims. 

Brian

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, plyroadking said:

I recall someone saying some Chryslers had wider rim widths than the plymouths had? Not sure if the years but they were 15 inch

Pretty much all Chryslers had wider rims than Plymouths because they were bigger,heavier cars.

If all you are wanting is wider wheels,there is no reason to spend big bucks on custom wheels became AFAIK all Mopars made in America since the early 30's use the same 4.5 inch 5 lug bolt pattern,and some of the 60's and 70's Plymouths were bigger than the 40's and 50's Chrysler's,and came with 7 or 8 inch wide wheels that will bolt right on your car.

• Like 2

Hope this message is not too late.  Check  http://www.rallyamerica.com/

These young guys are second generation wheel folks.  Fresno area.  Last name McLean as in McLean wire wheels.  They did some wheel mods for my P-15 all by phone and UPS and I am exceptionally pleased.

And re Coker tires,....they are marginal at best based on the experience of several friends.  I have Excelsior Radials on my Roadster which I am very happy with.   They are a bit pricey, a bit soft, sold by Coker but a much better product.   Diamond Back in the Southeast is another source for quality specialty tires.  You might also check Lucas Tire in Long Beach.

And just read the comment from knuckleharley and agree with all his input.  I have 7"x15" "Mopar Cop Car" rims on my 40 Ply.

Edited by mrwrstory
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, plyroadking said:

I recall someone saying some Chryslers had wider rim widths than the plymouths had? Not sure if the years but they were 15 inch

Maybe that's where this one came from? 4.5 bolt pattern 6" wheel. Unfortunately I only have the 1 and no idea what it came off of. 

IMAG1896.jpg

IMAG1892.jpg

I found a good local shop to do the rim widening for me...taking my original centers and welding on new 5" barrels.  I don't have the precision welding skills to trust my own work on this!  I looked at switching to a later Mopar wheel, but found that most won't fit because of the rivets and locating pins on the original drums. In any case, this shop is easy to deal with, does really high quality work and does it at a reasonable price...less than the cost of a whole new custom wheel.  Plus they're local so I don't have to worry about shipping costs. For anyone is southern California, I'd recommend these guys. 

http://www.thewheelsmith.net/CustomWheels/OEMWheelsAccessories.html

On 2/16/2017 at 10:43 AM, Young Ed said:

Maybe that's where this one came from? 4.5 bolt pattern 6" wheel. Unfortunately I only have the 1 and no idea what it came off of. 

IMAG1896.jpg

IMAG1892.jpg

Yup, that has the right cutouts for the drum rivets and locating pins...the trick is finding 4 of them in decent condition!  

It seems that finding good rims is a challenge.  The following weekend coming up,. San Diego is having the Big 3.  Last year I got a great buy on three 16" rims.  If anyone else is going to be there, keep an eye out!  Sometimes you can find Mopar stuff.  But it is a needle in a hey stack....  The only wheels easily found are Artillery Wheels, I often wonder if they have gold in the steel?  At least they seem to be priced that way.  LOL

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Finally got my 8” rims. Thinking about removing the clips for blasting and painting. What rivits to use to reinstall?

Brian

30421125-9AB6-467D-ACE6-BCB3AF438563.jpeg

On 2/18/2017 at 11:25 AM, st63 said:

I found a good local shop to do the rim widening for me...taking my original centers and welding on new 5" barrels.  I don't have the precision welding skills to trust my own work on this!  I looked at switching to a later Mopar wheel, but found that most won't fit because of the rivets and locating pins on the original drums. In any case, this shop is easy to deal with, does really high quality work and does it at a reasonable price...less than the cost of a whole new custom wheel.  Plus they're local so I don't have to worry about shipping costs. For anyone is southern California, I'd recommend these guys. 

http://www.thewheelsmith.net/CustomWheels/OEMWheelsAccessories.html

Stay on top of Wheeksmith.  They're real good,....on the phone.:unsure:  I went to Rally America as mentioned above after the other guys dropped the ball.

Stock Mopar Cop Car rims bolt right up,  'Tho they're 15" x 7".

IMG_0484a.jpg

Edited by mrwrstory
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Luckily, Wheelsmith is local, so I was able to stray on top of things in person....I've had the re-worked rims on my car for several months now and they ride great!