oil filter

If it's the cannister type, two bolts to mount the bracket on the head, and two oil lines.   Do a search on this site, there recently was a post showing the correct routing of the two oil lines.   Mike

• 1 month later...

There wasn't a "standard" filter for these trucks. In fact many didn't even have a filter. Mine didn't. I found one on ebay and added it to my truck engine. The one i have is a Deluxe Filter, which uses the sock type filter element. I suppose it would match up with the Deluxe heavy duty filter option listed (Model P903) Which uses cartridge P/N 676575. That crosses to the Napa 1011 sock filter, or the Baldwin JC405 (which I like better).

If you really want to be confused, try deciphering the parts pages...

58c6c71c732ff_PartsPage10-3Oilfilters.JPG.69ec884cf04750edb90d1d2020d94205.JPG

58c6c71d23ade_PartsPage10-9OilFilters.JPG.30c856bdd984bf2f35ca706a46ea6137.JPG

Edited by Merle Coggins
  • Like 1

Are the ports marked "IN" and "OUT"? Are there any other markings on it to identify what it is? It doesn't look like the Deluxe Model JC filter that I have. Yours looks like it may take one of the paper type filter cartridges.

When I got mine it had the wrong filter cartridge in it, and it was full of sludge. Note the markings on the cover that state the type of cartridge. "Use JC Cartridge", which also crosses to the Napa 1011 or Baldwin JC405

PC300178.jpg

P8070335.jpg

PA090534.jpg

Edited by Merle Coggins
  • Like 1

Picture of the filter after I cleaned it up. It does have the words inlet and outlet clearly stamped on it but I was unable to locate any other markings

would it be "incorrect" to install this one?

IMG_5345.JPG

Edited by jpartington

4 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

Nothing wrong with the one you have. Mount it up, plumb it up, and use it. It's likely an aftermarket filter from back in the day. Fram, Purolator, etc... As long as you can find a replacement cartridge for it. 

here is a way to insure you will always find a filter

58caaa64a1178_oilfilter.JPG.8f079d0d42f83ca3d321c8f10e2180ff.JPG

saw this set up, this past summer to the North of me :) 

12 hours ago, jpartington said:

Picture of the filter after I cleaned it up. It does have the words inlet and outlet clearly stamped on it but I was unable to locate any other markings

would it be "incorrect" to install this one?

IMG_5345.JPG

That looks like the same one I have on my 48 plymouth. Uses a readily available napa filter I believe a 1010.

• Like 1

That filter canister set up you have will work fine for your truck or car applications.  I have a Purolator "Military Standard Jr." set-up in my WC-12 which has an IND-7(237) motor in it. The filter canister is a tad larger than the the one you have. While the by-pass system of filtration is functional, the full -flow system of filtration is much better. Problem is, the full flow system was only used on Chrysler and Desoto 25" motors. I have never seen a 23" Mopar flathead with a factory installed full flow system. 

On 3/16/2017 at 2:32 PM, Dozerman51 said:

That filter canister set up you have will work fine for your truck or car applications.  I have a Purolator "Military Standard Jr." set-up in my WC-12 which has an IND-7(237) motor in it. The filter canister is a tad larger than the the one you have. While the by-pass system of filtration is functional, the full -flow system of filtration is much better. Problem is, the full flow system was only used on Chrysler and Desoto 25" motors. I have never seen a 23" Mopar flathead with a factory installed full flow system. 

The only thing better about a full flow system is that it filters all of the oil coming out of the pump.  But a bypass system is better at filtering the oil, i.e. the media in a bypass system captures much smaller particles, than a full flow system.  A dual full and bypass system is the best option, but with a quality filter, high quality oil, and proper oil change intervals, a bypass system works just fine.  http://www.baldwinfilter.com/literature/english/ProductHighlights/102011HighlightsFAQs.pdf

Edited by Elwood