This is dumb, but Im going to ask anyway

pontiacguy

My 54 Plaza wagon only has a rearview mirror on the windshield. There are no holes, mounts etc on the drivers door, and no MIRROR. Did Plymouth really make that mirror an option? My car is very original (and no options), but obviously its possible someone removed it and competently filled the holes to a point where I cannot find any evidence of it.

Outside mirrors were an option right up to the sixties.  I cannot now imagine driving without one but I never had one on my first 50 which I drove over 10000 miles each year between 1965 and 1976  without incident.   I would like to think it was because I was faster than everyone else but that would be stretching the truth.    Door flange mount mirrors were popular but there was a door mounted mirror which fastened just below the belt line.   Also some mounted to the moulding and on trucks to the door hinge  but all were options.  Fender mounts appeared a little later. The first Plymouth I had with fender mounts was a '57.

As noted by earlier responses, outside rear view mirrors were options, often dealer installed, that many cars did not have.

That said, check your state's motor vehicle code: In California most things in the equipment section have a "on or after" date but there are exceptions. And one of the exceptions to the "on or after" are rear view mirrors. In California you must have at least two rear view mirrors one of which must be a outside mirror on the side where the operator controls are. It doesn't matter when your vehicle was built or how it was originally equipped, it must have two mirrors to be legal.

On the other hand, I've never heard of any collector car being stopped for that type of equipment violation. So you are probably safe from getting a equipment violation ("fix it") ticket if you really think you don't need a outside rear view mirror.

of all the cars Ihave had some familiarity with in the Plymouth line,,,any door mirror affixed was aftermarket and if not dealer installed was mounted by an owner.  I have not found any mirror on the outside with a mopar number that I can recall.  Most were fitted with what was available at the local parts house or through folks like Western Auto.  You will find that when trying to find a mirror for the door that two things come into play quick, the curve of the door at the area and the vent itself opening into the body or blocking its view.  Its is a tough call finding one that looks period correct and still will mount snug and secure and be functional.  forget about the passenger side matching mirror except for cosmetic balance for the most part.  Some of the 50's mirror that came factory couple years later than your car can be retrofit..but you may not like the placement usually at the rear portion of the fender.  Again even with these the passenger was complimentary at best. 

My parents bought a 59 Plymouth station wagon new. It had no outside mirrors. The dealer installed them, aftermarket ones, and for the 4 years we had that car, Dad complained every day that you couldn't see anything with them. it was a pair, they were mounted about half way up the front fenders on top of the fender. Looked cool, but worthless.

I thought I had the correct mirror on my 51 Plymouth convertible.  One evening I was watching  "Adventures of Superman" and Clark Kent is driving a 51 Chrysler  convertible.  The episode centers around an old mine but there are several good shots of the car and it has a right hand mirror as well.

Same as the one I have ........ but MoPar..... maybe not.    

So there is value in old television shows after all.   In another Superman episode there is a 56 Plymouth police car and it has a special wheels   kind of like later rallye wheels  but with the small Plymouth cap.  Never seen another.  

1 hour ago, dpollo said:

I thought I had the correct mirror on my 51 Plymouth convertible.  One evening I was watching  "Adventures of Superman" and Clark Kent is driving a 51 Chrysler  convertible.  The episode centers around an old mine but there are several good shots of the car and it has a right hand mirror as well.

Same as the one I have ........ but MoPar..... maybe not.    

So there is value in old television shows after all.   In another Superman episode there is a 56 Plymouth police car and it has a special wheels   kind of like later rallye wheels  but with the small Plymouth cap.  Never seen another.  

I seem to remember the old "Sky King" shows featuring some "51 or '52 Plymouth's. Love those old black and white '50's shows.

John R

Thanks all!! I have never had a car w/o at least a drivers mirror. I have no intention of mounting one. I just thought it was really strange to not have it. Personally the fact it was optional (and not opted for) just makes me like the car more. I love unique.

Found in a 1949 Plymouth parts book in the accessories section.

DJ

CCF01122017_00000.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...