Is it possible to swap the original 251cid engine in my 1947 WHA-48 1.5 ton Dodge truck to a 1951/52 230cid engine?

Dunkin

Howdy,

Newbie here!

I have a 251cid Dodge engine (T120-77962) in my 1.5 ton truck that has a blown out piston and I did not want to put money into rebuilding it since it's a truck used to just drive around the farm for fun.  My question is, will a 230cid Dodge engine (D42-211153) from either 1951 or 1952 be a viable replacement to bolt up to my existing set up?  I found an engine nearby in excellent running condition and thought of just swapping mine out for this one. I think that I would have to move the motor mounts, but I don't know if the water pump, thermostat housing, generator or anything else would simply swap out from the 251 to the 230. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Roman

dodge.JPG

• 2 years later...

I decided to keep the original 251cid in the truck after all since it was just a busted piston in hole #6.  She now runs great and the brakes have been gone through as well.  All she needs now is a set of new(used) tires and she'll be road worthy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That would not be a good idea to put a 23" engine in that 1-1/2 tonner. Bad idea IMO...barely just enough power  with the 251.

But for fun on the farm..why not!

All the accessories.starter,WP generator etc. should swap. The fan should be close to the radiator as it is now to cool properly.

Never mind! Old post I didn't fully follow through on!.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

??? Where was there an offer for part for sale, or a request?

it was removed. I will edit and unhide it.

For clarification, my statement was simply a statement that I was going to put the 230cid engine for sale.  I had full intentions of offering the engine and parts in the classified section, not here.

• Like 1