D-24 Front Bumper

fmfarrisjr

Attached is a photo of my fathers first car - a 1948 Dodge Custom. With regard to the front bumper - in addition to the license plate bracket, there is a piece of chrome that rises from each of the front bumper buffer plates. What is this item called? Was it standard or a factory or dealer installed option? I recently purchased the same model car but without this bumper item. 

1948 Dodge front bumper.jpg

It's a grille guard. They were an option,but I don't know if they were Mopar or dealer supplied. I do know there were at least some made by outside suppliers and offered by dealers as well as by other sources,such as Western Auto,JC Whitney,etc,etc,etc.

What's interesting is that there are a few different styles. I'm assuming the one shown on my fathers car was either furnished from the factory or the Dodge dealer.

My father would never have installed one after he owned the car. It must have already been on the car when he purchased it new.