valve guide removal

Hooligan

I am new to this forum but see a lot of info. here.  I read in Motors manual that to remove valve guides without the factory tools all you must do is drive them out from the top 

with a rod turned down to valve size as a guide on one end. I have done this and with a large ball peen hammer have had no luck. Thank goodness I have a junk block to practice 

on.  Used a 2# machinest hammer and did nothing but bust exposed part of guide off. Last night I heated guides up with torch to red hot and let them cool overnight.  Any other ideas would be welcome.  

You need to use a correct application professional valve guide driver.

If the lifters are still in use a 3/4" diameter steel drift rod to break the guide off when it gets close the the lifter. Drive the remainder of the guide down and out.

• Like 1

Generally if you are replacing the valve guides from excessive wear the rest of the engine will need careful attention too.

Meaning removal and complete tear down.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

thanks to JBNeal I was able to get a real good idea of how to get them out  Sorry about the bold,This is the last thing on the block to strip.Next stop is machine shop for cleaning and checking for cracks 

5 hours ago, Matt Wilson said:

Just to close the loop...I ended up buying a suitable valve guide driver from Goodson, and drove the guides out of my 230 block with the guide and some pretty good hammering.

That's a great driver! It has a 1-2 degree relief angle cut to prevent the top of the guide from blowing apart.

Goodson is the best!

• Like 2