Overdrive

Billy6

No.   It may fit the bell housing but is shorter than the 40.  and has the floor shifter. 

The R10 is your best choice for the 40.  bolt for bolt swap, 

Yes, The R10 was used from 52 to 56  but there is an earlier  R8 (I think) which was used mostly in Chrysler in 40 and it will do the job. I think someone with a mid 30's Plymouth may be keen to get the trans you have.  The downside to that unit, unless it is a 39 is that it has noelectric kick down feature.

Edited by dpollo
line spacing

The 36to38 overdrive unit is still for sale in a local "want-advertiser". For $245. It is the non-electric version. Anyone who wants that info let me know. Now I am looking for an R10. Any out there?

On 12/23/2016 at 11:17 AM, Billy6 said:

The 36to38 overdrive unit is still for sale in a local "want-advertiser". For $245. It is the non-electric version. Anyone who wants that info let me know. Now I am looking for an R10. Any out there?

I would be interested in this info.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2016 at 8:17 AM, Billy6 said:

Still, have the info for the early OD? Have you found the trans that you were looking for?

The 36to38 overdrive unit was apparently sold a couple weeks after the above was posted. In any case the person selling it never returned several phone calls.  I have not located a unit for my P10.

For the past 16 years, I have dragged around a OD unit from my 1958 Dodge Truck.  One of these days, I will do some measurements to see how compatible it is.  The down side is the length.  This transmission is really long.

Edited by classiccarjack

• 5 months later...