TRailblazer Transmission

Todd B

I have a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer with 204,000 miles on it.  I noticed my Transmission slightly slipping while accelerating.  I stopped and checked the fluid (in Park) and it was low, I keep checking for the next few days and kept adding a total of 1.5 qts.  The car kept on getting worse and worse and now I have no 3rd and overdrive.  It just winds. I took it in and the fluid is blacker than the ace of spades and smells very burned.  Will changing the trans fluid and filter fix this or should I take it to the big bone yard.  Any advise would be appreciated.

Todd B

At least you got that many miles out of it. I had a 96 s-10 and only got 130k before the transmission gave out.

replaced it with a 2000 Dakota 

Yep, that tranny is toast.  No amount of fluid changing, filter changing, or top-off will help at this stage.  I haven't had an automatic transmission rebuilt in 20 years or so, but even back then it was $1K.  You don't seem attached to the vehicle, so I'd weigh cost of fixing vs. getting a replacement.  You may even get a moderate off-set for a replacement with the scrap value of the Trailblazer.

sad part is that scrap metal is so low that if he got 180.00 for the vehicle I would be surprised...better off parting it if you have the time and means to store it as it spirals down the tubes being stripped.   A local ad would be the best venue...probably some guy out there with a damaged similar vehicle wanting a good body and would willing swap the tranny from his wrecked vehicle.  I have not seen a dealership lately that advertises Push Tug Pull or Tow trade in allowances..

Thanks for all the input, I used the trailblazer to haul my crews around when I had my tool trailer parked on site and didn't need my dually.  We call it the "Amish Getter", I have Amish that work for us.  I got 16 MPG with the trailblazer compared to 12 MPG with my dually. The AC & speedometer haven't worked in years so its time to move on. 

THANKS again, Todd B

• Like 1