Can a tire be mounted on side of bed for a 49 pick up

Angel4951

I like the look of a tire on the side of a truck .but i think they didnt have that in 49 it was only on the bottom. Has anyone ever goten away with mounting a tire on the side od a 47-51. What years and model dodges did they do that.? What special mounting pieces does it need.? 

0976a9ee7b9495381024dbbc2e44faa3.jpg

I'm guessing you can't do that unless you have a fender with the tire cutout,or you are willing to modify your existing fender.

I remember seeing a lot of those sidemounts on late 40's to late 50's GM pickups,but don't remember ever seeing one on a Dodge or a Ford.

Here again is a Dodge advantage over the others. Since the Dodge bed is 6'6" there is ample room to mount the spare between the fender and the cab. Chevy and Ford beds are only 6' thus needed the indented fender. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, pflaming said:

Here again is a Dodge advantage over the others. Since the Dodge bed is 6'6" there is ample room to mount the spare between the fender and the cab. Chevy and Ford beds are only 6' thus needed the indented fender. 

Thanks,I did not know that.

2 hours ago, Reg Evans said:

Here's mine on Old Yeller. Mounted with a home made bracket. No need to modify the fender even on a low side short bed.

Old Yeller.jpg

6 minutes ago, 1949B-1-C said:

Here is the tire on my '48, not sure if it is factory or not but I like it!

IMG_2326.JPG

You guys are those 15s or 16s? That would make a difference on the side mounting. The 39-47s that came with a factory side mount had a fender cutout. 

And another on a low side bed....

B3D spare.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 1949B-1-C said:

Here is the tire on my '48, not sure if it is factory or not but I like it!

IMG_2326.JPG

Is that a half-ton,or a 3/4 ton?

3 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Man you are lucky, you found a truck with your name already on the door.....:D

Old Yeller.jpg

Actually, all I had to do was have my last name changed to match the name on the door. 

• Like 2

Mine's also a 1948 3/4 ton and it has a "farm-made" side mount. These home-made units are quite common and perfectly valid. I had a '52 1/2 ton with the same situation.  Who wants to be crawling around under the truck (and at night or in the mud...) just to change a tire? 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, JBNeal said:

Crawling under a truck to retrieve a spare tire is automatic renewal of a dude's Man Card...

Well in my book it is just lame.

If ever there was a purely functional vintage truck accessory it is the side mount carrier.  To my eye they don't even look complete without one.

Another negative thing about the rear underslung spare is the fact that the top side of the spare has collected ample samples of where the truck has been since it was stored there. Oh and with the superior quality of todays tires resulting in the infrequent need for that spare tire, that big wing nut that holds the spare up has plenty of time to rust SOLID.

If one truly has any inkling of an idea to under sling a spare...a trip to the wrecking yard to abscond with a cable operated spare tire winch is/should be first order of business...I just recently modified my small utility trailer in said fashion..easy access, simple operation and out of the way till needed.  I had one from a Dakota I parted long back.  15 minute install. 

But for the record always thought the side carrier was the ticket on the older truck...guess it is just what I was used to seeing growing up and think it is still what should be there...find them in the junkyard...close to the dinosaur bones

Those cable carriers aren't always the best either.  I had a look under our '05 Explorer earlier this fall while examining a quarter for some rust repair  and found a vacancy where the spare should have been.  Cable had rusted through and dropped the spare somewhere and no, you won't notice or feel it making it's departure or at least nobody mentioned a thump or bump.  I just hope no one was following when it happened!

I feel your pain...but have to admit that I rarely consider the rust an issue as we do not have a severe problem here in the south...unless, you run the beach and salt spray..to that end you bring it on yourself and get no sympathy from me..the salted road..I feel for you for sure..