6 volt Battery

C.C. Rider

Tractor and equipment supply stores often stock six volt batteries .  I always buy a "Group 2" size if it will fit in the carrier. I cannot recommend a brand name as these vary regionally and  Virginia is about as far away from BC as you can get.   With reasonable care I have had batteries last up to ten years but having said that I will likely find one flat .

my 6 volt Optima yet surpasses the performance of new batteries and it is many years old.  Tractor supply houses provide batteries but their very warranty period screams loudly their value.  3-6 month is not speaking highly of the manufacturer's faith in their own product so I ask why should I go out on a limb that they tremble in fear of?  They are costly over a conventional, slight off from the normal battery in the appearance department.  You can get a faux battery cover is looks plays that important of a role in use/display.  The Optima red top carries a three year replacement warranty....service would be easy if you buy from big box store or outlet like Summit Racing..

In retrospect...one Optima that I got used in a vehicle I purchased has out lasted, out performed and continues to give first class service while I went through 3 conventional batteries in my other vehicle.  After sitting dormant for two years unused it fired my car over instantly when the fairly new conventional fell on its sword.  So cost wise....I lost money with the conventional compared with the cost of 1 Optima at retail price new.  In many places you cannot find a group 2 battery and that is the factory size for my car.  Another fact for consideration.

I get my batteries at Pic n Pull. Take in a core and get one for around $40 out here. I have one in my truck that is four years old and went through the fire.  Just another choice one not favorable to some, but that is what I do. Years ago, they would remove the caps and roll a dead battery down a steep incline, let that baby bounce around and loosen up the crud in the bottom, rinse it out and all is well!  

EDIT: Mr Plymouthy, below is correct. 

Edited by pflaming
Added a reply

I get mine through napa, my '29 ford AA and the dodge B2B use same battery. Can't tell you how long I've had them but been quite a while. Trickle charge when parked keeps everyone happy, even the boat deep cells. Short money for guaranteed start. 

I run Optimas in a few vehicles and have always had good luck. One note, the 6v Optima is only half the width of a 12v model, so you will need to modify the bracket or run two in parallel like I do.

Batteries.jpeg

Edited by 59bisquik

E-bay in this case would be a comparison shopping avenue only.  I would suggest you purchase your battery from a local or even better a company that is part of a chain of stores if possible so to have best chance at any warranty issue should it arise, they have an excellent product but noting is 100% across the board.   I can just imagine the time and trouble of internet tag with some companies from e-bay resolving a problem.  Packing /shipping, all this at your loss of time of use.   Summit Racing it about as off the local path I would venture. 

• Like 1

Well i have been buying my Optima batteries on line , taking advantage of their free shipping . The huge price difference makes up for any possible warranty problems in my opinion . Also I was not in a hurry . Just shop around and if the prices that you find are not too much higher local ... go that route . 

Optima hands down!!

I have one 12 volt that is at Least 14 years old but with very little general use as it was in projects. It was run flat and I mean Flat at least 5 times which is supposedly the Worst for this type of battery! Always recharged with a  trickle type charger to get it going again. If it did any damage it never showed up. It  was cranking a v-8 most of those years but currently in my 50 4dr. Plymouth flat 6 car. I keep it unhooked these days to avoid the run it flat problem and charge it only left uncharged for 2-3 months! Still turns the flat 6 strong even after the sitting time.

OEM manufacturing companies began putting them in ride on ride-on construction type rollers with vibration back in the 90's. Stood up to the vibrations better.

Not bad for the $125 original purchase price. :confused:;) $125 divided by 14 + years =  :D

DJ

Well P.A. at that rate I will never even come close to you!:D

DJ

I continue to have good luck at both exide and Interstate warehouses in my area.  Buying retail returns, or blemished batteries.  The returns are from retail outlets where they have passed their sell by date, the blems are nicks or scratches, or stickers on crooked.  Just bought a 400 CCA blem at Exide for my Wheel Horse plow tractor for 12 bucks.  Never had one last less than four years, last one I replaced in the p 15 was 7 years old.  One place wanted 156 bucks for the batteryfor a John Deere mower, Interstate charged me 45 for a higher CCA piece. 

I know you mention this often, I knew we had a local Exide business but it does not have that program...matter of fact they told me they were not retail to the public but there to distribute to their outlets.  Not sure where the out of date and blems would be in my neck of the woods.  Exide does make a good battery.