34 top of transmission

Rob

I have a question on my 34, on top of the trans and under the crossmember there is a gap between the two is there a rubber boot that goes there to stop dust and water from entering. Nothing was there when I dismantled the car for restoration. I cannot find any info on this. Thanks

Parts book lists a seal piece that goes in there. It was missing on my '33 too. I cut a short piece of radiator hose to fit and pushed it in there. The top of the transmission is raised a bit around the opening for the shift lever and there is a depression on the cross member where they punched the hole above it. Between those, the hose is well captured and I haven't had it budge in the 18 or so years since I put that stuff together.

Ok thanks, I was leaning that way too. That's what I will do. I have another question for you if you restored your interior, there is tack strips that have a wound up material in the channels did you do anything with that that wold work in that channel, some of my strip is in the channel but I am missing a good portion. Thanks again

In the areas where the twisted paper was missing or deteriorated to the point where it would not hold tacks/nails, I cut strips of soft wood (pine, fir, etc.) from stuff I had laying around and jammed them in there. I was a bit worried about the strips coming out but they seem to stay put as well as the original paper like stuff. Seems to hold the interior side panels okay.

4 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

the actual replacement paperboard is available from Restoration Specialties

The original is basically tightly twisted paper that gets jammed into a groove that goes around the ceiling and the doors. Then the tacks or nails that hold the trim panels on are nailed into the twisted paper/fiber material to hold the panels in place.

I'm not seeing a twisted fiber or paper tacking material in their PDF catalog. They have something they call "flexible plastic tacking strip" on page 117 that might work but no illustration to help confirm.

Their PDF seems to be a scan so I can't just do a search by name or description and scrolling through that many pages I may well have missed it. Do you have a page number and part number for this item.

you looking up the flexible plastic tacking strip by your description....they are on the very same page as the laminated waterproof cardboard tacking strips...there are 8 sizes to choose from....as my paper catalog is older than their most recent online I am sure the pages are not the same...I will give you the name to look up.         TACKING STRIP   verify you looking for the item in bold letters above...

also available in plastic   this is just a link to one size on a quick check... 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-convertible-top-tacking-tack-strip-1-2-wide-X-5-16-3-8-thick-/220878007453?hash=item336d5aec9d:m:mFIbTezGM9P-hMB1hVTpz5Q&vxp=mtr

Edited by Plymouthy Adams