(Help) How to clean a starter

gbhdrake383

So I got a 1948 Pilothouse and need some help. Truck has been sitting for a few decades. Put a  battery in and the starter won't engage. Tore it down and found it was very dirty inside. Now what's the best way to clean an old starter. Any ideas or tricks would be great. Thanks

You will have to completely take it apart yourself... check the brushes and commutator. Take careful note of where all the parts and connections go.

Carefully/gently using a tooth brush clean the case and winding's... don't damage the tape and cloth insulation. carefully blow it out.

Check the starter contact switch contacts and adjustment.

Clean and lube the pedal yoke and clutch sleeve, armature shaft end bushings etc.

If you cannot feel comfortable doing this better have it done by a rebuilder.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

You will have to completely take it apart yourself... check the brushes and commutator. Take careful note of where all the parts and connections go.

Carefully/gently using a tooth brush clean the case and winding's... don't damage the tape and cloth insulation. carefully blow it out.

Check the starter contact switch contacts and adjustment.

Clean and lube the pedal yoke and clutch sleeve, armature shaft end bushings etc.

If you cannot feel comfortable doing this better have it done by a rebuilder.

Perfect answer. That's what I needed. Thank you. 

2 hours ago, rb1949 said:

No bench testing prior to dismantle to evaluate possible external problems?

Yes and I got nothing. It's getting power and so is the ammeter to ignition. Even tried the ol hammer tap tap and still nothing. Took it apart is really dirty and some light rust spots inside. It's been sitting since 1955 so there's no surprise.

hi,

i had the same problem with the starter of my 1928 Chevy, stood still several years.

took it apart, cleaned the housing, the brushes and commutator (commutator has build up a sort of corrosion layer during the years of not moving) with white spirit and abraded the commutator carefully with sandingpaper 400, after that the commutator has his shiny copper look back.

Result the starter is working .

Succes  Danny

• Like 1

On 11/17/2016 at 0:06 PM, Cudan said:

hi,

i had the same problem with the starter of my 1928 Chevy, stood still several years.

took it apart, cleaned the housing, the brushes and commutator (commutator has build up a sort of corrosion layer during the years of not moving) with white spirit and abraded the commutator carefully with sandingpaper 400, after that the commutator has his shiny copper look back.

Result the starter is working .

Succes  Danny

Awesome. I've been starting to clean everything very carefully. 

I remember years ago, the copper washer on the solenoid use to wear out. Seems as poor broke kids, would take the washer out and turn it over to get some more use out of them.

Just saying, be sure to clean the surface on the copper to get good contact.

What tools did you end up using to get the starter out? With mine the top bolt looked like the easy one and was already out and lying on the top of starter,

The bottom bolt was the one I was having problems getting to with a socket, but thought a wrench would work ok. Just did not have a 5/8 wrench in my coffee can of tools to try it.

Does the wrench work?

Mark the mating surfaces with a paint stick before taking it apart so it will go together correctly.  I used a brake cleaner aerosol can and sprayed down the rotor and emery cloth on the copper part.  Make sure the bearings are toght so the rotor doesnt drag.

• 3 months later...
On 11/21/2016 at 2:53 PM, dale said:

Mark the mating surfaces with a paint stick before taking it apart so it will go together correctly.  I used a brake cleaner aerosol can and sprayed down the rotor and emery cloth on the copper part.  Make sure the bearings are toght so the rotor doesnt drag.

Cold winter so I put the truck aside in the garage. Warming up so I'm back to working in it. Cleaned it with brake clean and cleaned the brushes. Works great now. 

• Like 1

On November 19, 2016 at 0:23 PM, Los_Control said:

I remember years ago, the copper washer on the solenoid use to wear out. Seems as poor broke kids, would take the washer out and turn it over to get some more use out of them.

Just saying, be sure to clean the surface on the copper to get good contact.

What tools did you end up using to get the starter out? With mine the top bolt looked like the easy one and was already out and lying on the top of starter,

The bottom bolt was the one I was having problems getting to with a socket, but thought a wrench would work ok. Just did not have a 5/8 wrench in my coffee can of tools to try it.

Does the wrench work?

Los control, do you have a starter and manifold wrench? If not, get one. They are a double box end wrench that are 9/16 on one end and 5/8 on the other. They are not straight, but curved to allow you to get in tight spaces. I'm sure this will help you.

4 minutes ago, Mike36 said:

Los control, do you have a starter and manifold wrench? If not, get one. They are a double box end wrench that are 9/16 on one end and 5/8 on the other. They are not straight, but curved to allow you to get in tight spaces. I'm sure this will help you.

Thanks for the tip. I finally did get it, I found a medium length 5/8 wrench, could use the open end and get 1/4 turn, then flip the wrench and get another 1/4 turn then turn the wrench over with the box end and get a 1/2 turn, rinse and repeat until tight. Was same way putting the top bolt back in also.

The next challenge was installing the new floor starter button. The original piece was held in with philip screws, got them back in but want to exchange them with something with a bolt head instead.

Just cant get a straight shot at the screws with the starter installed, screwdriver at a angle, you can not snug them up as tight as they should be.

I had a special little smile, when I sat down and put my foot on the starter and she rolled over for the first time since 1978.

I call it Molly time, is very therapeutic to my physical / mental state. Where I know everything is right with the world.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That was short lived. I have been really busy and not much molly time.

Started with a 1967 international with no start, complete tuneup and get a bad new condenser      fixed

79 dodge 3/4 ton starts wont stay running, carb gummed up with old gas and rebuild a lil holley 500 2 barrel    fixed

77 ford 3/4 ton, bad starter, replace it, bad fuel pump bypass it, realize it has a old school distributor installed with points, file them and starts ... bad motor

57 chebby flatbed with a mild built 283 and farmer exhaust through the fenders, nothing but smiles here does run out of gas and that is good to be rid of the old fuel

52 chebby dump truck, 235 acts like motor is froze, is the generator, turn it with a pipe wrench and starts and sounds awesome, drive it 10 feet and the front brake freezes up

The list goes on. Next up is a 72 chevy, 66 merc, 55 packard, 72 dodge

But I make some free time and I say to myself, lets go tickle molly.

Am running with a 12 volt battery, key off and turning it over to get oil pressure. starting off with what sounds like very little compression, I can hear the compression improving and see the oil pressure gauge move.

I add a bit of gas in the carb, turn on the key and mash the starter button .... got nothin

I check the connections, look at everything and seems fine, step on the starter and look through the hole for the gas pedal and see a spark at the starter when stepping on the starter button.

Will get back at it next week, but seems to be a issue with the starter I took apart and cleaned up.

The brushes had some obvious wear pattern going on. I am not really up to date on what they should look like. I am a carpenter and use to replacing brushes on my worm drive skill saws and other tools.

But I will go ahead and replace them this time ... although I do have 2 more starters sitting on the bench to look at.  hrmm

I may clean another and throw it in there to see if it will start a engine.

But yeah the spark I saw is a indication that may have a bad brush and grounding out on the case.

Thinking that even though they looked close to 3/4" long, they are very old and maybe brittle and just broke while being re-activated into service after 40 years rest.