1948 Pilothouse no power

gbhdrake383

9 hours ago, Jeff Balazs said:

Yes start with cleaning up that connection. Quality of ground depends on good mechanical connections. If you find you have a problem with ground you can always add jumper straps between components.

Jeff

Good idea. Tomorrow I'll be checking grounds. Then replace the negative cable to starter. After that just go threw the line as I go. 

power to the starter yet?

This is kinda where I am with my truck. My headlights worked, but starter would not turn over. But there was another starter on the seat, and the top starter bolt was out, bottom bolt and wire loose. I believe the starter went out and was the straw that broke the camels back on this truck. Back in the 70's you could buy a good used truck for $100.  And molly was already over 20 years old.

I really want to spend some time cleaning up the wiring, before connecting the battery again. Lot of bare wires where the old cloth wore off and disintegrated.

I think all of my smoke is in good condition, did not see any of it escape from the wiring. But feel kinda lucky after closer inspection of the current wiring.

All I want to do is fire it up and see what condition the motor is in, but not worth burning all the wiring up in the process.

1 minute ago, Los_Control said:

This is kinda where I am with my truck. My headlights worked, but starter would not turn over. But there was another starter on the seat, and the top starter bolt was out, bottom bolt and wire loose. I believe the starter went out and was the straw that broke the camels back on this truck. Back in the 70's you could buy a good used truck for $100.  And molly was already over 20 years old.

I really want to spend some time cleaning up the wiring, before connecting the battery again. Lot of bare wires where the old cloth wore off and disintegrated.

I think all of my smoke is in good condition, did not see any of it escape from the wiring. But feel kinda lucky after closer inspection of the current wiring.

All I want to do is fire it up and see what condition the motor is in, but not worth burning all the wiring up in the process.

Haha I'm in the same boat. Hopefully I'll be firing it up this weekend. First time since 1955

11 hours ago, Los_Control said:

I by passed the ignition and ran a wire from the negative to the coil and focused on getting it started to see what I had..... and then re wired it :)

So I've decided to remove the starter. Going to tear it down and clean up everything. What's the easiest way to remove it. I got the bottom bolt out and removed the kick panel in the truck. Still a nightmare to get that top bolt out. Any ideas? Maybe a 1/4 drive and a 5/8ths socket on a swivel coming at it head on. Not coming in from the kick panel. Seems to be impossible to remove it from inside the cab. 

Just now, Young Ed said:

Extension long enough to get behind the starter. I forget if I used a swivel or just a wobble extension. You can also use a half moon wrench

I tried a normal 3/8s extension and 5/8 shallow socket and couldn't get in there. It was hitting the pivot/bolt spring for the starter arm. 

• 3 months later...