Pilothouse Top Speed

gbhdrake383

1 hour ago, Los_Control said:

No idea what issues you could be having, I was totally amazed at how rusted tight my vacuum advance was.

Just seems like one of those things one might overlook. Would run fine at lower speeds but if timing is not advancing, it would not reach higher rpm's.

For the record, think I want to replace my distributor with a newer model. The one in my 1552 has a better vacuum advance, points plate setup then the 1949.

I got mine back together, but afraid if I look at it crossways, the points plate will fall out.

No vacuum advance on this one.... and word around the campfire is you have to remove the distributor in a certain way to pull it from the motor.

Defiantly on my to do list  :)

I've got a 50, B2C, hence the name.  It has a 1952, T310 230 with dual Carters and dual exhaust, 4.11 rear, 4 speed tranny. Other than that, everything else is stock.  It does 50-55 MPH, however gets to 50 at the blistering pace of around 6.5 minutes...  I live on an island that is about 10 miles by 10 miles bridges connecting it in 3 places to the non-island parts.  This truck is perfect for island travel, and have even driven it to downtown Jacksonville a few times.  I just map my route to avoid highways, and allot time appropriately.  Like others have said, I'm not out to break any land speed records, I enjoy the truck, haul tons of crap in it, work on it when I can (keeps me sane), and drive it like it is...a classic antique with more character than any other truck made in the last 50 years.  

Edited by Fiddy B2C

13 minutes ago, Fiddy B2C said:

I've got a 50, B2C, hence the name.  It has a 1952, T310 230 with dual Carters and dual exhaust, 4.11 rear, 4 speed tranny. Other than that, everything else is stock.  It does 50-55 MPH, however gets to 50 at the blistering pace of around 6.5 minutes...  I live on an island that is about 10 miles by 10 miles bridges connecting it in 3 places to the non-island parts.  This truck is perfect for island travel, and have even driven it to downtown Jacksonville a few times.  I just map my route to avoid highways, and allot time appropriately.  Like others have said, I'm not out to break any land speed records, I enjoy the truck, haul tons of crap in it, work on it when I can (keeps me sane), and drive it like it is...a classic antique with more character than any other truck made in the last 50 years.  

A 230 with dual carb/exhaust and 4.11 gears you should be getting to 50 mph like right fast. My 228 dual carbs/exhaust gets to 50 mph pretty quick, even with 3.23 gears.

I know you are joking about the 6.5 minutes, your truck must be plenty torquey by the sounds of it.....

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rockwood said:

A 230 with dual carb/exhaust and 4.11 gears you should be getting to 50 mph like right fast. My 228 dual carbs/exhaust gets to 50 mph pretty quick, even with 3.23 gears.

I know you are joking about the 6.5 minutes, your truck must be plenty torquey by the sounds of it.....

It is torquey, in fact, I was having trouble pulling a stump out of the ground (a palm tree stump mind you) and I decided to hook the truck up to it and give it a pull.  Jerked the thing right out of the ground, it worked well.  

, Hey Guys, so over on the "HAMB" a thread was created  and the topic is using our old cars/trucks/hotrods for commuting to work.

Many who live in large urban areas have a very stressful drive in those scenarios, kinda defeats the old car experience purpose.

I can get away with it where I live or cruising most of the highways.

So how about you guys, can you drive your old cars and trucks on the highways/freeways/interstates where you reside?

Edited by Rockwood

9 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

so over on the "HAMB" a thread was created  and the topic is suing our old cars/trucks/hotrods for commuting to work.

Many who live in large urban areas have a very stressful drive in those scenarios, kinda defeats the old car experience purpose.

So how about you guys, can you drive your old cars and trucks on the highways/freeways/interstates where you reside?

I'll be driving mine to work tomorrow!

2 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

I'll be driving mine to work tomorrow!

Shouldn't you have put it away at the lake for the winter already?

Seriously, I have driven through your town, whats it like these days, on the freeways I mean, especially in an old car or truck?

9 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Shouldn't you have put it away at the lake for the winter already?

Seriously, I have driven through your town, whats it like these days, on the freeways I mean, especially in an old car or truck?

I'll be leaving from work to go to storage! That's why I'm taking it to work. Freeways can be crazy. Wife got hit in her van 2 weeks ago. 4 cars total. However I start work pretty early before it gets too crazy. 

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

, Hey Guys, so over on the "HAMB" a thread was created  and the topic is using our old cars/trucks/hotrods for commuting to work.

I've been on the freeway with mine a few times, usually on the weekends.  People just smile and or wave when they pass by.  

Good Morning all, just came back from getting some gas and a lottery ticket in the Fargo.

As I was driving down the highway, no wind whatsoever, the "Maple Leaf" draped against some flag pole in a farm yard, and got to wondering.

Driving at speeds of 55 to 65mph, not much traffic at all, air temp outside very crisp at 16f or -9c, at 50 mph this truck is not working, and is very nice handling, at 60-65 mph, again on a good highway handles and steers very well, bit with more wind noise, engine and I think the old 4 spd trans are noisy too. I do not think on a straight and level highway, an IFS would be all that much different in the feel of things. On a bumpy, winding road or city streets would no doubt be a huge difference, or for panic stops and swerves too.

Now engine and RPM noise, at 50 mph around 2000 rpm, very quiet, at 55-60 mph 2500 rpm, quite a bit more noise, and beginning to sound busy.

I do not know how some cruise at 3000 RPM plus, it's gotta be busy, have not ever got to that on the highway yet, close but not quite.

I am venturing to guess at 2200-2400 rpm, these engines would be happiest and in the right power band.

I do know with my 3.23 gears, if I am cruising slowly and shifting through all gears no big deal, but if I am in hurry getting onto a busy highway, got to make sure I do not shift too early through the gears, or lose some powerband , because I might dip below 1600 rpm or so.

Now I know these engines make max torque at a fairly low RPM, but for getting to speed, you need some rpm  to avoid a bit of lag time.

Anyone else notice these things with your trucks or cars?

On 11/19/2016 at 7:35 AM, Rockwood said:

Good Morning all, just came back from getting some gas and a lottery ticket in the Fargo.

As I was driving down the highway, no wind whatsoever, the "Maple Leaf" draped against some flag pole in a farm yard, and got to wondering.

Driving at speeds of 55 to 65mph, not much traffic at all, air temp outside very crisp at 16f or -9c, at 50 mph this truck is not working, and is very nice handling, at 60-65 mph, again on a good highway handles and steers very well, bit with more wind noise, engine and I think the old 4 spd trans are noisy too. I do not think on a straight and level highway, an IFS would be all that much different in the feel of things. On a bumpy, winding road or city streets would no doubt be a huge difference, or for panic stops and swerves too.

Now engine and RPM noise, at 50 mph around 2000 rpm, very quiet, at 55-60 mph 2500 rpm, quite a bit more noise, and beginning to sound busy.

I do not know how some cruise at 3000 RPM plus, it's gotta be busy, have not ever got to that on the highway yet, close but not quite.

I am venturing to guess at 2200-2400 rpm, these engines would be happiest and in the right power band.

I do know with my 3.23 gears, if I am cruising slowly and shifting through all gears no big deal, but if I am in hurry getting onto a busy highway, got to make sure I do not shift too early through the gears, or lose some powerband , because I might dip below 1600 rpm or so.

Now I know these engines make max torque at a fairly low RPM, but for getting to speed, you need some rpm  to avoid a bit of lag time.

Anyone else notice these things with your trucks or cars?

Yes. There is a lot that can be done to quiet things down if that is the limiting factor. I took a fairly radical approach to this because I personally feel that most trucks of this vintage fall way short of the mark when it comes to the noise factor.

If you really want to quiet one of these down you have to take this into consideration from the beginning of your build. I will outline what I did but you need to understand that it was very time consuming and not cheap. If you are someone who can't resist the temptation to cut corners then don't even bother.

Once I got my cab back from the painter I began by applying 3 coats of brush on rubberized bedliner to the entire underside of the cab. Once the cab was mounted I then used the same material on the firewall, the entire floor, the inside of the roof and back of cab as well as the internals of the doors and kick panels and the back side of the dash and cowl. I also took the time to embed strips of rubber belting into this coating. After this I proceeded to apply Hushmat Ultra to all of these surfaces. The firewall got two layers on the inside and one on the engine side. I even used this on the inside of the entire hood assembly. Then I used a double layer of foil backed bubble wrap to further insulate the areas getting upholstery or mats. This included the firewall, kicks, roof and back of cab. Then I installed the great upholstery I got from PH interiors. To finish things off I carpeted the back of the cab below the upholstered section and the area under the seat. I also made a additional insulating floor mat from rubberized carpet which fits under the rubber floor mat. Other things I did included using rubber insulation on the steering column tube and extra weatherstrip on the doors and windows. The end result is much more like a modern vehicle and not your typical 60 year old truck.

Jeff

• Like 1

While I am not really into those movies I do have some good news for you.

You don't have to go a certain speed or have a bunch of gadgetry....these trucks are real time machines just the way they are. Just one thing they have no problem at all going back in time ...........but you will have to drag it kicking and screaming into the future. At least that has been my experience so far.

Jeff

• Like 1

I did do a 120 mile round trip to work today. While she easily pulls all the grades and will cruise at 65mph without issue and a calculated 2950 RPM's... She sounds much happier at 55mph and 2500 RPM's!

I currently have a 218 industrial engine in her out of an airport tug. I wonder if all these flatheads are the same way or if the industrials have a different cam in them designed for more of a single continuous speed.

1 hour ago, 59bisquik said:

I did do a 120 mile round trip to work today. While she easily pulls all the grades and will cruise at 65mph without issue and a calculated 2950 RPM's... She sounds much happier at 55mph and 2500 RPM's!

I currently have a 218 industrial engine in her out of an airport tug. I wonder if all these flatheads are the same way or if the industrials have a different cam in them designed for more of a single continuous speed.

Sounds like things are running well, and yes these engines do seem to like cruising at 2500 versus almost 300 rpm.

I have been told by those in the know that the Industrial engines , are cammed for lower rpm torque use. Now this may be specific to applications too, I really don't know.

Sounds like you are having fun with her?

Are you driving on the Interstate? If so, how did it go at 65 mph?