GM LTG Turbo 4

James_Douglas

Hi all,

In my ongoing quest for engines for the 1947 Desoto suburban I ran across some time back the GM crate engine that is the LTG Turbo 4.  It is direct injection and the like.  The issue is that GM does not have a matching kit for it using an automatic.  Just a stick.

After some looking around again, I found a company that makes an adapter to use a GM auto with it.

What I like about this is that the size of this engine is about the same as the flathead.  I will be looking more into this.

James

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines/ltg-four-cylinder.html

GM_LTG.JPG

GM_LTG_Sizing.JPG

GM_LTG_curves.JPG

flathead_six_HP_curve.jpg

Edited by James_Douglas
  • Like 1

You seem intent on installing a shiverlay in the car but ....why????????????:( Whatever gm has now, or ever had, MaMopar can equal it. You might get some attention but I doubt that it will be all positive.

The planned new FCA turbo-4 is in the 300hp range, but as mentioned, none of those crate engines are cheap.  You can buy a lot of gas for the thousands of dollars wasted when a low mileage wrecked donor vehicle could be bought.

I'm currently considering a pentastar V6 for my 1950 Plymouth, similar horsepower and torque to the LTG.  Naturally aspirated so I don't need to concern myself with turbo plumbing.  Available with either an automatic or manual in rear wheel drive.  The engine has been in production for a few years and I can get a low mileage changeover (engine, transmission and electronics) for under 3 grand.  For a daily driver with enough oomph to pull our motorcycle trailer on road trips I think it's a good option, and I stay all Mopar.

• Like 1

To those of you new around here, I have been contributing for over 10 years...The Desoto has been my daily driver since 2003.  It comes in at 4800 pounds empty.

In a few years we will use this car to travel the USA.  Loaded it is about 5500 pounds.

I DO NOT WANT to change the steering or the front end.  But, I need this thing to be much better for Sondra to drive as well as my left ankle. 

I have paid my dues with more flathead six miles than most.  One I pull that out I could care less on who makes the replacement.  My 1949 will have that flathead in it until hell freezes over in any case.

Almost any V8 Conversion would require steering modifications.  The steering box on the Suburban is about 30% larger then the other cars.  A V8 would hit. 

I saw this engine at the car show a couple of years ago.  It would fit the bill.  But, no trans.

Well, I just got a call from a dealer.  In the 2017 GM performance catalog they have come out with a rear wheel transmission for this engine.  The wiring is due out in six months for the computer to talk with the trans.

The only issue is will it clear.  They put the direct bolt on AC of the drivers side...

This engine can be mounted at the front like a flathead.  So, if the side were to clear, it may be a very good fit.

I will keep moving forward investigating this.

James

• Like 2