Steering wheel removal

Probey53

There are a few topics on it if you search, but the main thing is you will need to almost "make" a puller to work on the wheel especially if your trying to protect and save it...most guys end up using bearing pullers and a top plate with some kind of shaft that fits inside the hollow shaft....to be careful not to damage the threads 

• 2 months later...

I do them this way some times with a OTC splitter and Posi-Lok puller.....

Steering Wheel Splitter Posi-Lok Puller (5).JPG

Steering Wheel Splitter Posi-Lok Puller (9).JPG

• Like 5

Wow dodgeb4ya, that sure is some kind heavy duty steering wheel puller set up that's for sure. I purchased a Military contract mechanical puller, NSN# 5120-00-620-0020 some years ago which is used to pull the steering wheels off of everything from 1/4 ton jeeps up to 2.5 - 5 ton trucks. It's very compact and has paid for itself many times over. It does a great job in protecting the threads of the steering gear shaft when pulling the wheel. There were 2 for sale on E-bay just a few days ago. Not cheap, but worth their weight in gold nonetheless.

• Like 1

Yes I showed that picture to show how to use a splitter and puller. I like Posi-lok pullers but others will do.

I also use the military type and a couple others to pull the old style Mopar wheels...

Puller  Old Style Steering Wheel.JPG

Steering wheel Puller Miller 232 (3).JPG

Steering Wheel Miller 232 Puller (2).JPG

• Like 1

BIngo,

You've got one too. I really like them. Just to have it, I picked Miler Tool #DD-921 which is used to unscrew the case cap on all old dodge corporate third members. With this tool, it will make it easier to remove the case caps on the third members when I find a set of 8.75 3.91 ratio R&P's for my WC-12. LOL. Much better with this tool than using a punch to loosen the case caps which I'm sure a lot of people do.