1940-52 Carb Sizes

Rodney Bullock

Hey Rodney!  Years back a fellow gave me a carter carb that was in his parts pile for his 41 Champion.  Sure looked like the one for my P 15.  But it was smaller both at the studs and across the throttle butterfly.  I believe Plymouth did these as an economy option on its commercial vehicles, cabs,and panel deliveries, and fleet cars.  If your coupe was a fleet vehical it could be fitted with the smaller carb.  But the good news is you may have one that fits if you still have Studebaker parts laying around.  By the way my Studies pickup is on the road. Put about 200 miles on it but I need to replace the radiator over the winter.  Is your Hawk still licking????

20160818_171652.jpeg

20160818_171600.jpeg

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 10:21 AM, Rodney Bullock said:

I am trying to replace my carb on my 1940 Plymouth P-9 The carb I bought has the wrong size at the base. it measures 2 1/2 between the studs The base is 3 1/2  I need one larger. My question is there a carb with a base stud to stud that is larger than 2 1/2 inches? Thanks in advance.

Rodney:  Glad to see that you are still posting.  I looked in my AEA catalog and for your P9 and also P10  the correct carb  should be either of the following and it is also according to if you have the sisson choke installed on the car.

Carter D6A1 - D6A2  without sisson choke

Carter  D6C1 = D6C2  with the sisson choke that sits on the manifold 

I measured the base on my spare Desoto carter the E6S3  the base from side to side is 3 3/4  the spare approx. for the bolts holes is approx. 3 inches center to center.  This might be different for the ply since the Desoto had the bigger engine.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

I was in my carter carb catalog and look what I found two pages on the flanges and dimension

Hope this answers you questions, Rodney.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

carter carb flange 1.pdf

carter carb flange 2.pdf

Hi all, I forgot to mention that although I have a 1940 P-9 the motor that is installed is a 217 from 1950. I think the 1940 Plymouth had a 201 as original. I talked to Mr. Isgro Monday and he is sending me a carb, he is aware of the motor change. I hope this fixes my problem. The little Plymouth is a great car and has been trouble free up to this point. I also ordered a fuel pump from Kanter just in case. I think it's a fuel problem.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 5:12 PM, greg g said:

Hey Rodney!  Years back a fellow gave me a carter carb that was in his parts pile for his 41 Champion.  Sure looked like the one for my P 15.  But it was smaller both at the studs and across the throttle butterfly.  I believe Plymouth did these as an economy option on its commercial vehicles, cabs,and panel deliveries, and fleet cars.  If your coupe was a fleet vehical it could be fitted with the smaller carb.  But the good news is you may have one that fits if you still have Studebaker parts laying around.  By the way my Studies pickup is on the road. Put about 200 miles on it but I need to replace the radiator over the winter.  Is your Hawk still licking????

20160818_171652.jpeg

20160818_171600.jpeg

GREAT TO HEAR YOUR TRUCK IS ON THE ROAD, IT LOOKS REAL NICE. MY HAWK IS STILL RUNNING MATTER OF FACT IF YOU GOT YOUR November ISSUE OF TURNING WHEELS IT'S ON THE SECOND PAGE AND THERE IS AN ARTICLE IN SIDE.