Overdrive cable routing

Dartgame

Finishing up the overdrive install, to make it functional. Have to install the cable and the wiring yet. My question is about the cable.

I found a post about this and wanted to confirm the routing on a 52 plymouth. First thing I noted is the dash has holes that match the bracket on the drivers side of the column. So i will use that location.

What's got me a little bugged is next i see no obvious knock out or hole in the firewall for the cable. I have to assume the cable was then paired with either the parking brake grommet or maybe the speedo grommet ? Thoughts/comments please ?

The post i found states that the cable is routed from the firewall, over the  steering  column, and then down and to the outside of the rear  motor mount and then to the cable bracket on the solenoid. Does this sound right ?

Have another look at the firewall near the voltage regulator .  There is a small punch-out about 3/8 inch which is for the od cable.    above it are two holes which mount the relay.   If your car does not have these, send me a PM  and I will measure my own 52 for you.   Seems to me even the 50 has the cable punch out but not the relay mount.

Hey thanks. I was thinking the knock/hole out was going to be like the speedo or parking brake - over an inch. I do see the small knock out you noted. I'll have to make a new one because i mounted the 12v fuse panel too close to the knock out. At least i now understand where it goes.

Does the rest of the routing sound right ?

sounds right to me.  The angle it meets the lever on the trans looks odd at first because it sweeps up from below, but that is the only way it will work right,

Got it installed in an alternate location thru the firewall. Works fine. I am going to wait on the electrical stuff for the overdrive until next spring. time for the car to take its winter slumber in storage until April or May.

Appreciate the offer, since the car never had an overdrive originally, i am not using the oem system with kick down and relay etc. I have a wiring harness from George Asche. It will operate using a toggle switch, and a modern relay. Pretty simple to install, but I have been working my butt off on the car the last couple of months and its time for a break. Trans works fine as a 3spd in the meantime.

Thanks for your assistance with the cable routing !

Edited by Dartgame

• 1 month later...

Laynrubber - its not a big deal to figure this out. I just needed to figure out where this went originally. The cable goes through the firewall in the spot dpollo mentions in the first reply above. I moved to a different spot on the firewall because I mounted my fuse panel too close to the punch out for the grommet. If you have a similar issue then choose another punch out, or drill a hole as I did - there are bunches of existing punch outs and holes around that area. Mine went in slick as snot. The dash has a pair of holes in the bottom edge for the cable bracket. These are to the left of the  steering column between it and the parking brake handle. Route the cable over the column on the engine side and then to the outside of the left rear motor mount easy peasey...follow the  parking brake cable. I zip tied to it - to keep things tidy.

• 6 months later...
On 4.11.2016 at 3:37 PM, dpollo said:

Have another look at the firewall near the voltage regulator .  There is a small punch-out about 3/8 inch which is for the od cable.    above it are two holes which mount the relay.   If your car does not have these, send me a PM  and I will measure my own 52 for you.   Seems to me even the 50 has the cable punch out but not the relay mount.

Hi - any idea if that is also true for the 1949 model?

The 49 uses what appears to be an Overdrive Cable to unlatch the hood.  This cable  is actually a little lighter than the proper OD cable and is routed along the inner fender.

Where it goes through the firewall, I do not know.   In any event, the OD control need only be convenient to operate and pass through all the other wires and controls without interference.  Not a big problem as long as the cable you use is long enough.   I found a  light PTO control cable that worked well but I did not get a part # with it.  There is another which does not have quite enough length in the handle end to pull to lock out without the handle coming out of its sleeve.  Works though.