Gasket Material and cleaning under the hood

imal80sman

Hey P15 fans!

anyone know where I can go to get gasket material for all of the windows? Not all of them need it, but it would be a good idea to get enough in case I need it in the future as well. 

Also, anyone know how to remove aged old oily greasy guck from under the hood? A good solvent or would it be best to hire someone who knows how to detail clean under the hood?

thanks for any help! 

• Like 1

Andy Bernbaum or Restoration Specialties for all kinds of window rubber.

Engine degreaser spray for engine bay cleaning. Spray on, soak for a few minutes, rub stubborn places with nylon brush, and hose with water. Gunk is the most common brand name, but there are others.

Just an opinion- I would use an engine degreaser product (Gunk is a good one).  NOT oven cleaner, as many of those oven products will ruin your under-hood paint.

Dennis in W. Tenn.

I would not personally use the oven cleaner on a painted surface unless you intentions when clean is to prep and paint....as for bare frame and components....yes, but again only to clean for tear down and refurb...even the most gentle of these cleaners are toxic and often caustic...care in handling, using and removal is a must..while can be diluted for disposal on the most part..they are not used diluted..

I have used Gunk brand degreaser many times.

Waited about a hour then hooked a garden hose to the water heater drain hose fitting and a spray nozzle on the hose end and washed off with the warm/hot water from the hose.

Cleans very well, repeat if needed after several hours or next day if very heavy grease.

Also is recommended to drain water heaters once a year anyway to remove sediments! ;)

DJ

I normally wrap the dist. in a plastic bag to help keep the water out. I have heard that WD-40 will help if water gets in.