Transmission problems

Dennis46PU

I'm trying to decide what to do with my worn out transmission.  It's a floor shift 3 speed.  It was locking up on me going home from the hardware store tonight, couldn't get it to shift. I pulled the top off and found nothing wrong with the shift tower, fork is straight and everything shifts as it should as far as I can see without popping the rivets out to check the springs.  The syncronizers are obviously shot as well third gear, see the wear in the picture. I need to get a parts book or find somebody with part numbers to look around for gears and bearings.  I'm just not sure about cost for parts would make it worth my time and effort.  Maybe a good used trans out there would be an easy fix for now.  Anybody's help and or suggestions are appreciated.

IMG_20161102_224427.jpg

I agree the T-5 or Ranger would be the better route. A rear axle swap would also be better... I had the chance a few weeks ago to grab a 5 speed from a Ranger, should have done a little more research and serious thought to it.  

The T5 or TK trans is not you only option, as a matter of fact, you need to be aware of the gear spreads and ratio for T5s, as some are geared so low, that 1st is useless, with certain differential gear ratio choices.

Or get the parts for your trans, not much to these for rebuild.

Possibly a donor trans may be out there too.

The Chrysler A833 overdrive,  1975-86 in everything from Volares/Aspens, vans and trucks. Easy to install, with a simple adapter plate, again with other modern trans, an ebrake has to be upgraded to the rear brakes, via a diff swap.

All depends on  what you want and for your intended use.

There are options, besides a T5 conversion.

Whichever route you choose, be aware of the gear spread and all of what is needed to make it work.....Good Luck$

Try this trans supplier, for parts and info,   https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transmissions/manual

Rockwood, thanks for your help on that.  I am leaning towards fixing what I have or a donor.  I'd be happy with either a 3 speed or a 4 speed trans donor as long as it fits my housing and pilot bearing release bearing.  Does anybody know if the 4 speed from my era, 39 - 47 will fit direct to my clutch housing?  This truck sees short runs never more than 10 miles from my house and usually 45 mph tops.  Sometimes it will sit for days so I'm not really looking for an upgrade to a T-5 or A833.  

A four speed will not be a bolt in as the 4 speed bell housing is different . It might only require drilling and taping for new bolt holes though . Also the 4 speed transmissions for 1939 - 1947 trucks were not synchronized . Also high gear with both 3 & 4 speed transmissions was 1 to 1 . In other words , no overdrive .  Also the early three speed were not synchronized , for example 1939* . 

Edited by Jerry Roberts

From what I have read, there was some changes in the engine block about 1934. This moved the starter out and you needed the correct starter and bell housing to use a 1934 or older engine, or 1935 and newer.

I hear the 3 speeds which was the standard manual trans of the day was a direct bolt in swap other then the 34, 35 year changes.

The truck in my avatar is a 1949 3 speed floor shift, with a 1937 218 engine.

The 4 speed on the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks was a special order. Most likely you will find a 3 speed before a 4 speed.

Here is a little about the engines and the changes. Good luck and have fun.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/flat.html

42 minutes ago, Jerry Roberts said:

A four speed will not be a bolt in as the 4 speed bell housing is different . It might only require drilling and taping for new bolt holes though . Also the 4 speed transmissions for 1939 - 1947 trucks were not synchronized . Also high gear with both 3 & 4 speed transmissions was 1 to 1 . In other words , no overdrive .  Also the early three speed were not synchronized , for example 1939* . 

Correct the pads are there for either but it will only be drilled for 1 pattern. I drilled mine for my 5spd and with some transfer punches from harbor freight and a bench top drill press it was a straight forward task. I agree though for shifting ease the 3spd is the way to go. 

Thanks for those contacts wayfarer.  I left messages just now for both.  I saw BigM on my way up to Oregon this past summer, but somehow missed it on my way back home, I wanted to stop there and inquire about other parts I'm looking for.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally got my transmission back today.  I took it to a place in Los Angeles on 11/4/2016 to have them rebuild it, they told me it would take 3-4 days and they guarantee it for 6 months.  So I decided to have them do it.  Problem was everytime I called them they had an excuse regarding the parts.  So I finally talked to someone that came clean and told me what the hold up was.  He said they thought they could get the parts but found out they couldn't.  He admitted the guys should bave been honest and told me the truth when they couldn't get them shortly after they started on it.  When I started on this transmission project I searched around for parts and realized the most valuable tool that I needed was a parts book if I were to rebuild my old transmission.  So I ordered one and then found AMS Obsolete.  I already knew what parts were needed before I dropped the transmission off at the rebuilder.  So I started punching numbers into their inventory search.  I couldn't believe what I was seeing!!  The only parts they didn't have were the bearing on the main shaft and input shaft bearing, also did not have the shaft for the cluster gear.  So I actually got the rebuilder back in gear by sending them copies of my parts pages and who to buy the parts from.  They were able to get the shaft made for the cluster gear and later I found by searching some more there is a business down the street from them that reconditions transmission and differential parts.  Anyway 21 days later I have my transmission back in and tooknthe truck for a test drive.  Much quieter than it was before.  Now I have to get used to having synchronizers in 2nd and 3rd gears. I'm eventually going to put together an overdrive transmission for this truck, but i'll wait until I have a rear axle differential and plans for a driveline layed out.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dennis46PU said:

Well I finally got my transmission back today.  I took it to a place in Los Angeles on 11/4/2016 to have them rebuild it, they told me it would take 3-4 days and they guarantee it for 6 months.  So I decided to have them do it.  Problem was everytime I called them they had an excuse regarding the parts.  So I finally talked to someone that came clean and told me what the hold up was.  He said they thought they could get the parts but found out they couldn't.  He admitted the guys should bave been honest and told me the truth when they couldn't get them shortly after they started on it.  When I started on this transmission project I searched around for parts and realized the most valuable tool that I needed was a parts book if I were to rebuild my old transmission.  So I ordered one and then found AMS Obsolete.  I already knew what parts were needed before I dropped the transmission off at the rebuilder.  So I started punching numbers into their inventory search.  I couldn't believe what I was seeing!!  The only parts they didn't have were the bearing on the main shaft and input shaft bearing, also did not have the shaft for the cluster gear.  So I actually got the rebuilder back in gear by sending them copies of my parts pages and who to buy the parts from.  They were able to get the shaft made for the cluster gear and later I found by searching some more there is a business down the street from them that reconditions transmission and differential parts.  Anyway 21 days later I have my transmission back in and tooknthe truck for a test drive.  Much quieter than it was before.  Now I have to get used to having synchronizers in 2nd and 3rd gears. I'm eventually going to put together an overdrive transmission for this truck, but i'll wait until I have a rear axle differential and plans for a driveline layed out.  

Dennis;

Glad you got this taken care of. I felt bad to have pointed you towards these guys. Seems like you can't always go on other peoples experiences........especially when some time has past from their contact with the vendor. At any rate it is good to hear that the ordeal is over. FWIW I don't think 21 days is all that bad. There are other parts that could easily take a lot longer just to find. Owning one of these old Dodge trucks can be a bit of a challenge. ;)

Jeff

Don't feel bad Jeff, you were helping as best you could.  Like you said, you can't always go on others experiences.  I bumped into an old friend this morning that has a 48 Ford, he's looking for a rebuilder to get his transmission done.  Yep, could have been much worse.  I'd be waiting much longer if i hadn't found parts thanks to the web.  And I was seriously considering a T5 swap if parts availability hadn't happened when it did.  When I was at the rebuilders shop yesterday afternoon, they showed me some of the packaging and boxes the parts were in.  I was very surprised all of the parts were in the small parts kit, was showing signs of wear on the edges of the cardboard envelope.  

Edited by Dennis46PU