My next project

ssnowden

After we visited the Studebaker Museum a couple of years ago, my wife and daughter only talked about one car. The Studebaker Wagonaire. I've been casually looking for one and found a 1963 one in Mississippi that was worth the drive to go get it. 

If you are unfamiliar with the Wagonaire, it has a retractable roof in the cargo area. It was designed by the same guy that went on to design the Jeep Wagoneer. This one needs a new floor pan and some rust repair on the fenders, but the frame is in excellent shape and the retractable roof is in near perfect shape, which is unusual for these due to the drain tubes getting clogged. 

IMG_1385.JPG

• Like 1

There was one of those in a salvage yard around here. Sadly it probably got crushed....

Have fun with the new project!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/dodgepu1946/junkyard/Sunnys%20in%20Delano/DSC00157.jpg[/IMG]

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

it is the odd duck but I have always been fond of the sliding roof concept....wagons automatically are cool projects

It certainly is different. I am somewhat surprised so far that there are parts available for it. I guess they did sell quite a few Larks, which this basically is except the cargo area. 

What power train?   Does it have OD, lots of studies did.  B and W R 10's. Same as Mopar basically but way less money when you find them.  Good luck.  Just put my 56 Studie pick up on the road.

Edited by greg g
  • Like 1

the BW overdrives was the concept and invention of Chrysler Corporation..the cost to built, man and machine a production facility for the tranny would however eat into many many dollars.  The fix, turn the design over to an independent who is already in the business, give them liberties to market to other makes and models by cast the case to match the connecting mount pattern and size, macine correct input and output shaft....the rest of the internals would be interchangeable across the board.  Win for Mopar,...a win for BW and a windfall to the others because they did not have to front the R&D

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

33 minutes ago, greg g said:

What power train?   Does it have OD, lots of studies did.  B and W R 10's. Same as Mopar basically but way less money when you find them.  Good luck.  Just put my 56 Studie pick up on the road.

I'm going to do some more research on the engine to see for sure what's in it, but I think it has the 259 with an automatic. It's locked up and I'm soaking the cylinders now. I like the Studebaker trucks too!

My engine is a 63, out of a Canadian built. (Engine # has an X in it, located high on the front Dr side of the block.). 259 is a good but heavy engine.  Forged crank, timing gears, not chain, good refer.  Trans during 63 is likely a ford o matic 2 speed on the lower optioned car rear end is a Dana unit.

http://www.studebaker-info.org/Tech/transmission/FMX/fmx2.html

• Like 1

I still need to look at the engine number and figure out for sure what it is and where it was made. My preference is to keep the original drivetrain as long as I can make it reliable. My wife intends on essentially daily driving this one to run errands around here.

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

does the car have power steering..this may be the weed out factor as a daily driver for the wife...

this is the DARE TO BE DIFFERENT  car for sure and to that end I like the fact that you took this puppy home with you. 

No power steering so she'll be parking in wide open spaces if the engine is good. :) 

just be aware that if you should go from bias ply tires to that of the radial...an additional amount of positive caster will give the car the very road manners it will need.  The very characteristic of the radial especially in the manner of its profile during laden/rolling shape the tire takes on is the very reasoning behind the Radial Tuned Suspension that was the market ploy of the radial coming on as main stream tire replacement.  While an approach to a neutral caster will lend itself to less resistance when turning and especially at turning at low speed, ie parking...you will not be happy or in my opinion as safe at road speed that the positive caster will assure.  With the tires today and the increase to on the average 36 PSI for the street radial on a car of this weight will help with steering at all speed and prolong tire life overall.