missing a foot cylinoid

Angel4951

12 hours ago, Los_Control said:

here ya go, pretty sure this is a mch 6103

I looked at the starter yesterday to reply to you, then the thread got closed. Today I took the starter over to the truck and dont have it here to look at.

IMG_20161022_115836904.jpg

I noticed it got closed too I was going to go into detial about the restoration there but I messed up asking for a starter. Is yours for sale or where you just playing around in the garage?

Ok the first question is for what year and what truck for 49  and also for what truck model for 51.  There are several starter switches that are used according to the truck model and year and also according to which starter motor is installed in the truck.

So I need to know the year and model of the truck and also the starter motor that is installed. I canthen look up in my autolite catalog and tell you the correct components.

The switch could have been the SW 2813  or sw-2827 so if you had to weld on the Stater switch then you have the incorrect switch. In my autolite book it did not show a picture of the switch sw-2827.

I did look in my Echlin catalog and it shows a picture of the SW-2827.  This is almost the same as the SW 2813 but on the SW 2827 there is no hole at the left front ot hook and screw in a wire to send a current to the sisson choke  the Echlin number would be an ST-29  to fit Dodge trucks 50-56 and fargo from 1950-56

The SW 2827 is in the  upper section in the lower left corner and is marked as ST29 and made by Echlin. the autolite would look the same

Rich hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Starter Switches.pdf

Edited by desoto1939
  • Like 1

The other question is whether or not the switch actually functions in it's current position. It may have been a better option to weld tabs onto the switch and drilled holes in them in appropriate place than weld to the starter.

Angel On the starter unit that you have the photo of there isa a copper plate that attaches to the outside of the starter motor body. at the very front of the unit there is a tab that is threaded.  The Autolite sw 2813 is the unit that has the hole in the side of the starter switch. A screw is inserted in a  a wire clip and then screwed into this hole and then the other end of the wire attaches to the sisson choke.  This is the same switch that is on my 1939 Desoto.  So if you are using this starter motor that is why the switch is not matching up and there should also be two studs that come out of the motor body to bolt the switch to the starter body  

rich Hartung desoto1939@aol.com

19 hours ago, Angel4951 said:

Had it welded on . Do you think it'll work? Let me know. Or did I mess up bad by welding??

IMG_20161026_114659.jpg

And then there is always the possibility that the foot actuator in the cab may not line up with the lever for this switch. This can happen even when you have all the correct components. Hopefully you don't run into this issue as it can be a fair amount of work to correct this. Getting this sort of stuff straightened out on an old Pilothouse truck is not for the feint of heart.

Jeff

Napa had no other options for switches and im sure the other parts stores dont go back that far. I believe it didnt line up because the starter I have in the pics is a maw 4029 prestolite 42-47 pick up truck. I need a mch6103 or mch6106. And no the hadle of the starter does not line up with the foot petal starter.

You are not always going to be able to get what you need from Napa etc. There are specialty suppliers listed on this site that usually have this kind of stuff in stock, Also a good starter repair shop will have them. I had two rebuilt last year and the shop fitted new switches to both of these.

I am sure you know this but that foot actuator in the cab needs to function properly with this starter arrangement. I know it looks very simple but getting it lined up correctly is critical to safe operation.

Jeff

I've got parts books where I work that go back into the 30's on some models.  That doesn't mean that even with a part number, it's going to be available or is still being manufactured but it's a whole lot easier to make a system work if the correct parts are being used.  There are some modifications that can be made to a starter to get it to function if you  don't mind it not being 100 percent correct for your particular vehicle.

13 minutes ago, Dave72dt said:

I've got parts books where I work that go back into the 30's on some models.  That doesn't mean that even with a part number, it's going to be available or is still being manufactured but it's a whole lot easier to make a system work if the correct parts are being used.  There are some modifications that can be made to a starter to get it to function if you  don't mind it not being 100 percent correct for your particular vehicle.

And sometimes a NOS part can be found on ebay.  That's where I got my switch the middle of July this year.  Fits and works perfect.

I figure you are kinda locked in on this starter.

I wonder if you cant remove the starter solenoid that is welded on, come up with a push button temp wire situation.

Install the sexy foot starter when you get a good rebuildable core?

But since you cant return the starter you have, would try to use it to get you by.

9 hours ago, Los_Control said:

I figure you are kinda locked in on this starter.

I wonder if you cant remove the starter solenoid that is welded on, come up with a push button temp wire situation.

Install the sexy foot starter when you get a good rebuildable core?

But since you cant return the starter you have, would try to use it to get you by.

Sorry but I think you are losing control :) That switch is not a solenoid. Due to the configuration of these truck starters the foot actuator needs to function properly. It is either that or you find a late 50's starter that actually has a solenoid and run it off the ignition switch. A large starter repair shop should be able to correct this alteration with no harm done.

19 hours ago, Angel4951 said:

Napa had no other options for switches and im sure the other parts stores dont go back that far. I believe it didnt line up because the starter I have in the pics is a maw 4029 prestolite 42-47 pick up truck. I need a mch6103 or mch6106. And no the hadle of the starter does not line up with the foot petal starter.

Angel:  according t my autolite catalog  the Autolite stater motor MCH-6103  uses the SW-2813  swith that has the hole in the side and the mch-6106  uses the switch sw-2827 that does not have the hole in the side.  Have you looked at the attachment that I posted with the pictures of the various starter switches.  On the unit that you shoed it has the tab to attach the wire into the side of the starter switch.

Please feel free to contact me   Rich Hartung   desoto1939@aol.comm home 610-630-9188  live near Philadelphia pa

Edited by desoto1939