Moving the master cylinder

Probey53

I'm interested in the answers given. I'm gathering parts and looking for the perfect 1/2T to become my new long distance daily driver. Upgrading the brakes for the daily commute is paramount (at least in my mind). I have no intentions of using an engine other than a mopar flathead 6.

Maybe down the road changing the engine out , for now looking into moving it to the fire wall or up grading the master .

I heard something about a master from a Jeep Cherokee or maybe you have a better idea?

Well IMO the Cherokee M/C has worked out well for many of us. It is relatively easy to swap in and not expensive. If you want to upgrade the front brakes to disc''s it works well. There are several threads on this topic. I took it a little farther and used Grand Cherokee components to change ratio and gain rear disc's.  I am quite happy with what I did. Yes there are other ways to do this......I will let those that have done them chime in.

Jeff

I am in the process of rebuilding my 1954 pickup and would like to know if fitting a Cherokee M/C would make a difference to the braking. I will be sticking with the original brakes just wondering if this master cylinder might help  ???  Replies welcome.

Dave, UK

I can't say if it will fit a 54 year truck. There was a thread about this a few days ago........ seems like it might not work due to differences between the 54 and earlier models.?

It should work with original brakes on the 53 and earlier trucks........with a the benefit of having a bit more safety than the single chamber M/C. I doubt it would improve the way your drum brakes work though. Biggest improvement to braking is going to come with the addition of front disc's. Done correctly they not only stop quite well but are much less prone to adjustment or component issues. Since my truck is my daily driver I opted to treat the rear to disc's too. No regrets there.

Jeff

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 59bisquik said:

The Cherokee master won't  work on the 54+. However, head over to the tech section and I just put up a post on how to install a Corvette master cylinder.

I'm sorry, but that's a bad idea...so many guys use those junky corvette master cylinders and I see so many fail, and just plain work bad.  So many options out there to look at, and if your moving it to the firewall, I'm sure you could mount just about anything with some fab work

I have a Corvette master from Master Power Brakes in my 51 for at least 10 years and have never had a problem with it I have front disk brakes for quite a few years but I did run stock brakes and it worked just fine 

I got mine from Speedway and the unit had great reviews. I am sure there are cheap or substandard models out there of every model.

I got a stock rebuilt master cylinder with my truck and it leaked and was assembled wrong. I then bought another from one of the recommended vendors and it leaked also in a short time. 

Obviously there are many different components that could be used. My philosophy on the braking system is quite simple. Build it with proven quality components and make it as bulletproof as possible. Avoid used parts wherever possible. Then when it is all together take it somewhere safe and test the living daylights out of it. You may be able to skrimp on some things but brakes need to be 100% reliable. And when you re-engineer a braking system you need to take the work very seriously.

Jeff

• Like 2

Dave;

I used the Rustyhope adaptor kit on the front and swapped in a 2002 Grand Cherokee rear axle that allowed for the rear disc's. Rotors, calipers . M/C, proportioning valve etc were all new components. Around $1500 including the rear axle. It is a relatively straightforward job. Probably the fussiest aspect was making new 3/16" lines and routing at the M/C. My truck is a 3/4 ton and because of that there was some extra work on wheel spacers, etc... that would not be required on a 1/2 ton.

All in all I consider it totally worth the cost and extra work. It still amazes me how nice it brakes and stops. Not at all what you expect from a truck of this vintage. :D

Cheers Jeff, I certainly enjoy chatting about the dodge trucks you have out there in the US. I am going to build mine as standard to start with and then see where I go. I looked at the Rustyhope web site , see the kit for my dodge, clicked on what I thought was the picture and it took me to paypal to buy it, panic set in and found how to remove it, Phew its easy to spend money aint it ? I like the idea of disc brakes system its the way to go I think. Pick your brains again soon, All the best , Dave

Ya Dave me too. You are correct it is way too easy to spend $ on them. But I am sure you will agree there are much worse things to spend it on than reliable and easy to live with brakes. I really feel the disc brakes I installed was some of the wisest money I spent on my truck. And since I drive it every day totally justified.

I do know that the original brakes can be made to work quite well too. But there is IMO more to go wrong and certainly more maintenance and special tools involved with doing so. With discs on all four corners I get excellent stopping power with next to no tendency to want to lock up. In the traffic I have to deal with it just makes sense. Might not be justified under different types of usage or conditions. I guess it all depends on what each of us expects from our trucks.

Jeff

Brakes and tires, the two most important safety items, seat belts #3. I have Rusty Hope's disc kit, all new lines, a Cherokee dual master cylinder, and rear axle. I have very good brakes. I do wish I had put discs on the back would not have cost me any more. I found a full set of '54 Dodge 15" rims which clear the front calipers. My expense: $450 on the front, $350 for the axle and MC., new lines (?) mostly labor. My truck is a '52 1/2 T. The MC is in the original spot, requires a special mounting plate. I'm now driving Phoenix more and more working out the noise issues just now.  I love my truck, fire patina and all.

ps, I do like the '54 model. 

Thanks for all the info, I am in the process of making a shopping list of parts required so hopefully only one postage/ customs cost. Boy , will I be excited when the package arrives. I am honing the bores out this weekend and then cleaning the block and head up ready for rebuilding. Still lots to do and I love it. More questions will be asked later !!! Happy days, Dave

Thrashfit... you will really enjoy the disc brake upgrade! That has been one of the best mods I have done so far. I know properly adjusted the factory drums can work pretty good, but the discs require no adjustments and make it much more enjoyable to drive. I will be figuring out how to put discs on my factory rear end in the near future...

Cheers 59bisquik, Thanks for all your comments, as with most rebuilds, well mine anyway, there is not a big budget so just getting it all back together will be a challenge. As I mentioned before the drums, shoes and cylinders all look new, so I need to sort out a master cylinder, new hard and soft brake pipes and that will be that for the stopping side of things. If they dont seem good enough then the discs will be programmed in. I am not in any rush building this truck, just enjoying working on it and finding out about how its put together, solid old things arnt they ? Hone the bores tomorrow and blast all the water ways out then its a matter of putting back crank and camshafts and then waiting for piston rings to arrive along with all the other goodies I have in mind........... I decided to join a walking football ( English type ) today and now have knee strapped up and a big toe nail all black and ache all over, dont bode well for the honing job tomorrow........:eek::D.........Thanks again, Dave....thrashfit

• Like 1