1934 plymouth starter

Rob

Can anyone tell me the physical size of the 34 starter, how big around and length, i am missing it and dont know what to look for.

i tried a later model but was to big, i think it was a 40s starter. i am looking for one if anyone knows

The 1933 and 34 Plymouths were equipped with a Delco-Remy 734-H starter. I've attached some photos for you of what it looks like. From the mounting flange to the back is about 9" (including the protrusion for the bearing area) and 4 1/2 inches in diameter. If you have a '35 and up engine installed in your '34 with the original bell housing then you will have a fit problem with the starter.

IMG_20161013_205335.jpg

IMG_20161013_205400.jpg

IMG_20161013_205417.jpg

• Like 1

According to my 26-34 catalog and AEA catalog the correct model is a delco 734H just like in the picture that Ply Adams posted and this is for the 34 Plymouth   PF and PE model and same for 34 dodge.

I am sorry I posted the credit to the wrong person it should have been Todd. My mistake

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Edited by desoto1939
  • Like 1

This could explain the difference you are seeing in your 34.

Makes me wonder, is the starter different or just the bellhousing?

Link to source http://www.allpar.com/mopar/flat.html

The old reliable flathead six kept many an old Plymouth on the road long after its original engine had been scrapped; the later engines were bolt-for-bolt swaps into the early cars (see note on right).

The engine received a fully jacketed water system in 1935 which meant moving the starter slightly outboard on the bell housing. For a later engine to be put into the ’33 or ’34 models the bell housing had to be changed, but this was unnecessary from ’35 on.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, I have a 230 on the stock 34 bell housing but I did not have the stock 34 starter. I saw a post saying the 34 starter is smaller than the later starters. So at this point is there anything I can do to keep the 34 bell housing, the trans has the shift tower on the trans crossmember and I want to keep it that way if possible. Thanks again

I've seen some where the case of the starter was ground down enough to fit. And another where the bell housing was machined to move the starter mounting location.

OTOH, there should have been a hand crank that came with that car. . . :)

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Found a bolt on starter for my 34 coupe with 230 engine and stock 34 bell housing. I tried to get some photos up to show anyone interested send me a message on the p15-d24 site.

995C4FC8-82B8-43EB-96CB-649AF736E747.jpeg

• Like 2