Dakota frame swap

Probey53

go take some measurement of a Dakota and your truck...see what model does the deed...at the same time you doing this things will stare you straight in the face as obstacles needed to overcome...these mods are not just a matter of unbolt this and bolt on that....earlier years pose some nice features...later years could throw and total wrench in the works and the very last one are based on the 1500 suspension wise...only you can access what one will do what you want....but again, if you are not doing the work yourself and will farm it out, then the shop that will be doing the work will often make the call on what is used and the process of evolving the end product combined of the two trucks..

• Like 1

Mr Plymouthy is correct. Depends on the bed length of your particular truck. I have a standard high bed on my 53 and put an early Dakota (1991) frame under it from a extended cab truck. One thing that you need to keep in mind, the area that is best suited for shortening that frame is exactly where the vin number is stamped and if you cut that out, you will never convince your police department that you have a correct title to it when you have it inspected..... don't ask me how I know..... and I threw out the pieces I cut out when I shortened it. This being said, this task is not for the faint of heart. You need to be able to fabricate and weld.

Hi Probey53,

If you are near California, I have a 1992 Dakota that may have the perfect wheelbase for you.  I thought about putting it under my 1936 Dodge, then I decided to leave it stock.  I used the engine and trans in my 1976 D200.  Before that, I put all new brakes in the Dakota, a new steering rack, and replaced all the bushings, ball joints, and tie rods with either Raybestos or Moog parts.  After I bought my Cummins, I lost interest in the truck and decided to part it out for my own projects.