1951 Plymouth Rear Window Rubber Gasket

RobertKB

I am getting ready to buy the rubber gasket for the rear window in my 1951 Dodge D39 Business Coupe. This is a Canadian Dodge and therefore the same body as a Plymouth. Steele has a gasket for a club coupe but I would like to know before ordering if the rear window on a club coupe is the same as on a business coupe. Both windows are curved but I am just wondering if anyone has information on the dimensions.If someone has a club coupe, I would appreciate the dimension for width and height if they could take the time to measure them. I will be contacting Steele but am not sure if they will know so thought I would check here first.

DSCN8139.JPG

Edited by RobertKB

What is that pickup sitting beside that nice old Canadian Dodge?

54 minutes ago, jhm1mc13 said:

I have a 1951 MOPAR parts book (USA) and it lists the rear glass P22- 2DR sedan as 1367 367 and 3W coupe as 1337 038.  Can't say for certain it is a crossover to the Canadian Dodge.

Jim M

The P-22 2 door sedan is probably the 'fastback' body.  Does your book show a listing for the P23 club coupe and 4-door sedan?  Those would be closer in size/shape to the business coupe glass.

Reprint of Hollander interchange book 1946-56 shows that the 51 Plymouth  business coupe and club coupe are Not the same glass. What is different? Does not give measurements-sorry.

DJ

34 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

Reprint of Hollander interchange book 1946-56 shows that the 51 Plymouth  business coupe and club coupe are Not the same glass. What is different? Does not give measurements-sorry.

DJ

If its the same as 50 the lower corners are smaller on the bus coupe. Way back Dad bought 2 50 plymouths club and bus coupes. The business coupe was the parts car but only it had the back window. We put that one in the club coupe temporarily and the lower corners were short.   

I phoned Steele to ask about the gaskets. I apparently was looking under Cranbrook but the three window coupe would have been a Concord and they do actually have the right gasket. I have ordered what I need and will repost when I receive everything and check for fit. All I know right now is that I had better not break the window as it would be hard to replace!!!

Thanks for all the help and information. This forum is great!

Pickup is mid 50's I believe but not mine and gone from where it once sat.

Edited by RobertKB

This is why I need the windshield and rear window gaskets. Trunks fits much better than shown as it has some rubber wedged in placed to keep the trunk lid from rubbing against the body and damaging the paint.

Gone from this

photo IMG_0514_zps0nxtnrow.jpg

to this

photo IMG_0555_zpsnja08atg.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update. I received my rear window gasket from Steele along with the windshield gasket and a few other items I needed. Both gaskets fit very well and the rear window gasket was the correct one as indicated by the pictures. I had had the window out for over two years and was very glad to get it back in place. It is the only curved glass in the car and finding another if anything happened to this one would have been difficult. All the trim went in nicely and there are three screws that hold the bottom trim on and they were placed precisely right. It was very important to follow the shop manual instructions exactly. Anyway, I was pleased with Steele's gaskets and can confidently recommend them to others. Pictures show the nice fit. Incidentally the trunk will fit better when I install the latch and trunk handle. Right now it is just resting on the new trunk weatherstrip, also from Steele.

photo DSCN8480.jpg

photo IMG_0580_zpslj5ri2on.jpg

photo IMG_0581_zpscjhpo0w2.jpg

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 2