39 Dodge D11 lowering Springs

Smokeywolf

Hi  I'm interested in lowering the front of my 1939 D11 Business Coupe .

What is the best set to use ?

I Live  in the UK ,so any information relating to European cars that may fit the bill would be helpful 

thnk you in advance for any help given

FullSizeRender.jpg

I know everybody has their own ideas,but it seems to me the old "If it ain't broke don't fix it" rule applies here.

You can spend a ton of money and time making it look different if that is what you want,but no matter how much money you spend you won't be able to make it look better than it does in that photo.

• Like 2

Smokey, welcome to the best mopar forum around, these guys know their stuff........I'm a hotrodder so  no worries re the question........I cut one coil from the stock front springs in the 41 Plymouth I had, dropped it about 2", ride wasn't great due to the cut coil but it was o/k......long term was that it would have got new lowered springs, another way is to emount the lower spring pocket from the top to the bottom edge of the stamped steel lower Arm but this is a much more involved job...try on coil from the springs to start.......andydIMG_1364.JPG 

IMG_1355.JPG

2 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

I know everybody has their own ideas,but it seems to me the old "If it ain't broke don't fix it" rule applies here.

You can spend a ton of money and time making it look different if that is what you want,but no matter how much money you spend you won't be able to make it look better than it does in that photo.

Ditto!

Thanks   for the compliment about the car men.

The reason a want new springs is that I'm not prepared to cut the originals

that way it can be put back to standard if required.

but works  required on the front axle so it makes sense to check every components condition  and explore alternative ride heights on the front.

My part interchange book shows 1940-1950 Plymouth (standard model) springs to be the same But does not show 1939. Are they different in some way? Some measurements as to unloaded spring height, coil wire diameter, outside diameter, maybe someone on the forum has one out of a 40-50 to compare? If the same then a new or used set of the Ford aerostar springs would be good to try out and cut as needed? ;)

This book  usually shows all years that swap out regardless of year,  even though the book is supposed to cover 1949-56 parts- all american brands that interchange.

A long shot?  :confused:

DJ

edit to add Plymouth as to this info.

Edited by DJ194950

I like the way these cars (ok, ALL cars from the 20's thru 60's) look lowered, compared to stock. Keep us updated with "after" pics.

• 2 weeks later...

I have Posie springs, front/rear under my '39, they work great.
You have to be careful modifying springs and/or adapting springs from other vehicles, the spring rate might be completely different from your Dodge. If you buy springs from a company like Posies or Eaton, the wire size etc., will be engineered to fit your car. Wm.

• Like 1