Brake shoe thickness

Jipjob

There is oversize lining to be used for brake drums that have been turned or enlarged. This extra material should work for drums machined out to the safety limits of the drum which I recall is about 0.060 inches from new. What should be done is get the lining arched so that it matches the shape of your drum. There are places that do this and by doing it your brakes should fit and work better.

• Like 1

JibJob:  according to my wagner Brake catalog the 42 Dodge using the lining number 1162 the same as my 39 Desoto.  Do you have riveted lining. If so I have several sets with rivets.  3/16 thickness

rich hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• 1 year later...

What size would be an oversized brake shoe material for my Dodge? Jon

present size is .200” my brake hub on the front has been machined out to clean up braking surface.  It’s within the factory specifications.  Thanks Jon 

4 hours ago, JIPJOBXX said:

And where can I get shoes arced in the Seattle area.  Jon

Maybe in your own garage. :)

I ended up getting a roll of sticky back sand paper from my local hardware store. For each drum I cut a length of paper long enough to fit around the inside diameter and stuck it to the inside of the drum. Then I took the shoes for that drum, marked them up with a felt tip marker so I could see progress and rubbed them against the sandpaper until the marks were sanded off and the shoe(s) fit the drum. Made a big improvement on the feel of the brake pedal and the stopping distance.

After that I got access to a shoe arcing machine but haven't bothered to use that as the hand sanded fit has been adequate even though the thickness of the sanding paper was more than the spec for matching the drum diameter so the fit was not as good as a machine could have done.

Yes arcing in the old days immediate great brakes and stopping.

If not arced new shoe lining to take some miles to wear in with periodic minor adjustments.

Takes longer but does work or did for me a couple of times.

Brake and Clutch Supply... Down town Seattle on 6th, Tacoma or Everett... Huge company.

Yes same old guy! My grandson caught this monster fish last weekend!  What a catch!  My wife is a very devoted Christian lady and she prayed for our little fishing adventure and god paid oft big time!  

CA58BA2F-5821-4E69-B3F3-6D1321E66572.jpeg

35B5290D-7096-427B-8783-BE07A6A88C7F.jpeg

44F3369B-5BF9-4B22-AF27-37B8A3F3AAC3.jpeg

B3B0EA46-46F9-4225-9FDC-5E0D1300B383.jpeg