No oil filter

dmdec

I'm trying to identify my 1951 Cranbrook.   It has no oil filter.  The copper oil line returns back into the block.  The bracket is there for a filter.  Does anyone know if the '51 Cranbrook came standard with an oil filter or was it an option.  I believe I have a stripped down Cranbrook with no options.  No turn signals, Lighter, radio, or clock.  It does have arm rests front and rear however and sunvisors.  (Cranbrook chrome tags on the front fenders).  Just wondering.

The Cranbrook was the better series in 1951 and had an oil filter as standard equipment.  It was probably a sealed disposable metal canister that had two threaded fittings (one inlet and one outlet).  The Wix 51035 is one part number that will work.  Problem is, they were discontinued several years ago so you've got to find them online or at swap meets.

In the early 1950's there were far fewer standard items than there are today.  For instance, turn signals weren't required in a number of states and many cars never got them.  Dealers would install aftermarket options instead of factory options for greater profit.   I've seen many cars with non-Mopar heaters, radios, and turn signals.   Definitely keeps the hobby interesting!

Fram C134A fits.

Still available.

Quality issues are not important..... (Fram).

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Many oil filters of the period were dealer installed, or aftermarket, unless you ordered the car and checked off the oil filter box.  By pass can and element filter assemblies are available on e bay quite regularly, they were not vehicle brand specific, kind of one size fits all, from Fram, AC, Purolater, and others.

Thank again guys.  Have no idea why someone would remove the filter and by-pass the system, but as I plan on driving only about 300-500 miles a year (at most) and changing the oil every year , I'll probably just leave it like it is.  

• Like 1

Fram C134A fits.

Still available.

Quality issues are not important..... (Fram).

The Fram website says that was replaced by the C134PL on December 19, 2005. The C134PL was, in turn, was discontinued May 23, 2014. I can't come up with images that I am sure are for that filter so I can't say that it was the disposable sealed canister type.

FWIW, Roberts claims to have the sealed canister oil filters available: http://www.robertsmotorparts.com/store/oil-filter-throw-away-sealed-cartridge-1

. . .  The copper oil line returns back into the block.  The bracket is there for a filter. . .

. . . I'll probably just leave it like it is.  

If you are not putting a filter on it, then I'd at least remove that line going from the main oil gallery to the filter return and plug the openings in the block.

• Like 2

I forgot about that sealed throw away... very expensive and over priced Fram PB 1/2-P type oil filter.

Those are a costly pain to use IMO.

The cartridge C134PL.. the current # or equivalent are available local and online too.. I just checked.

post-302-0-70477600-1472484814_thumb.jpg

With Fram discontinuing C134PL, Wix is probably soon to follow by the end of the decade.  IMHO, if one is looking to do something different than the sealed Fram PB 1/2-P, it is advisable to convert to a more modern spin-on or even a canister using the new drop-in types of filters.

21 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

I use a NAPA Golden 1010 drop in filter on my 39 Desoto and it is going into an AC oil filter metal housing.  These are still available at NAPA.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

The operative word is STILL.  How much longer will they be available?  Fram has already stopped manufacturing the equivalent.  Wix can't be far behind.  If I was going to the trouble of installing a different filter system, I would go with something that will be readily available conceivably until I'm on my death bed.  I currently have a drop-in filter, but anticipate needing to do something else in the near future (next 5 years?) when the Wix 51071 is no longer available.  O'Reilly's warehouses already have rather limited quantities (single case) and few stores carry them on the shelf.  It will only be a matter of time before they aren't available the next day.  To go with a drop-in filter that hasn't been standard equipment for almost 50 years would be short-sighted.

• Like 1

So if anyone has read the label on the old metal throwaway type the label stated that they were good for 5000 miles.  So lets assume we only travel around at max maybe 1000-2000 miles in a single year.  The drop in filters should not need to be replaced on a yearly basis. So I would figure that when the oil starts to get dirty but with a multi viscosity oil beig a detergent oil it will get dark sooner I would think that at least the dropin cartridge should last two years  and if you just wanted to remove and clean out the housing and use it again for another year it should work just fine.  So in that thinking and figure on 10 more years to own the car maybe 5 more filters I think I am ok. Also snce some farm equipment used these type of filter all we need to know is the diameter of the canister and the height that we need and the diameter of the hole in the center of filter and then any filter that matches the size should work.  Just my 25 cents worth of updates.

Rich Hartung

36 minutes ago, desoto1939 said:

So if anyone has read the label on the old metal throwaway type the label stated that they were good for 5000 miles.  So lets assume we only travel around at max maybe 1000-2000 miles in a single year.  The drop in filters should not need to be replaced on a yearly basis. . .

Depends on the original throw away filter: I've seen them with 8,000 and 10,000 miles on the label. And the operator's manual for my car, does not give a replacement interval but rather says to remove the return line when the engine is at hot idle and check for a flow of clean oil. An quicker and cleaner way to check is simply put your hand on the canister after a long drive: If it is really hot then oil is going through it and it is probably still good. If it is only at the general ambient temperature of things under the hood then it may be clogged up and need replacing.

Note that the sealed canister type are depth media (basically packed full of cellulose fiber) while the replaceable element filters are a paper surface type media. For bypass filtering, a good depth media is, in my opinion, better than a surface media.

Assuming 10,000 mile replacement and 2,000 miles driving per year, the sealed canister should be good for 5 years. Roberts still sell them with a current price of $45. So that is $9/year, a price I am willing to pay. And buying 6 of them should save on shipping and will get you 30 years worth of coverage.

Also I would say the more guys still buying either type of filter the longer they will keep making them. I put enough miles on my coupe that I change the oil and filter yearly. My pickup doesn't get as much so that one is typically every other.

Usta be,(in the 60's) oil change every 2500 to 3000 miles, oil filter with every other oil change.  That was with non detergent oils with very little for additive packages and leaded gas.   If you are only going to put 300 miles on then change the oil, send me your discard.....

30 minutes ago, greg g said:

Usta be,(in the 60's) oil change every 2500 to 3000 miles, oil filter with every other oil change.  That was with non detergent oils with very little for additive packages and leaded gas.   If you are only going to put 300 miles on then change the oil, send me your discard.....

In the 60's cars had full flow oil filters. At least the cars I worked on in the 60's (or built in the 60's that I worked on later) all had full flow filters.

And to be safe, you should replace a full flow filter every oil change. The reason is you can't tell how full the filter media is and bad things happen if the pressure drop across the media becomes too large. Bypass filters don't have that problem.

Modern full-flow oil filters also have the bypass.  It is a necessity with the plethora of the willfully ignorant owning automobiles.

You may be good for 10 years.  I have enough filters in storage to last me a few years as well.  However, I do drive my car quite a bit more than you.  I take 100 mi. trips on a whim, and think nothing of it.  I also expect to be driving mine for another 30 to 40 years.

If I was going to the trouble of installing a new oil filter system, I would opt for something that uses a more modern element.  If Fram has discontinued the C134PL, it is obvious that the demand for these filters is waning significantly.  It is only obvious that the supply is going to dwindle significantly to the point where there is a heavy premium on existing stock.  When's the last time you saw anyone farming with an H or M Farmall?  For me it was over 25 years ago, and he was an anachronism then.