Runs for 5-10 minutes then dies

Greg F

Hi guys:

Got my new 1940 P10 and she ran pretty good.  Decided to put in Stovebolts electronic ignition like I have in my P15.  Ever since that, she starts great, run for about 5-10 minutes, then sputters and dies.  Let her cool a bit, then starts and drives for a few more minutes.  I put back in the original ignition, and still does the same thing.  Have searched on the website and tried some of the suggestions, but at this point Im frustrated and going nowhere.  

Anyone have any ideas on why this is happening?  Don't think its a fuel or ignition problem, may rebuild the carb next.  

Like they say, if its not broken don't fix it stupid!   

Thanks Greg

Have you changed the Ignition coil itself ?   It  almost has to be a heat related problem.

Well not with the original setup.  With the Stovebolts it came with its own coil(took that one out, when went back to original)  Will try that.  Does seem to be a heat issue, as it runs well till warms up.

Thanks dp

PS.  Amazing how may cars and  trucks you have, lucky guy.

Edited by Greg F

If it's not the coil,chances are you have a bad ground somewhere.

Check to make sure that the fuel filler cap is vented. Also, if there is a rubber fuel hose connecting the hard line to the fuel pump, make sure that it has not softened and collapsed on the inside. Ethanol in the gas can raise hell with old rubber parts.

What was the last thing you changed/fixed before it started acting up? That would be the primary culprit.

When it dies, have you checked for spark? Have you checked for gas in the carburetor (air cleaner off, accelerator pump squirts gas)?

• 9 months later...

It could be any recommendation above. Next time you run it and it dies, carefully touch the coil (only briefly). If it's burning hot, then it may be your coil. Beyond that, you might double check your float adjustment in your carb. Also, not sure on these carbs but on my tractor carbs there is brass mesh where the line runs into the carb. Sometimes those collapse and cause a restriction so you can basically run it dry but if you let it sit, it will slowly refill the bowl. So restarting shortly after it dies gets your a few minutes, but if you let it sit for multiple hours it would run for several minutes before running dry. It's the only things I can think of... I'm sure you've tried those, but I :) figured I'd mention it.

Edited by rcb
  • Like 1