Wheel color opinions requested

Mr.Dids

Take it as you will but I've heard that using those trailer wheels on a car is a bad idea. Supposedly the trailer wheels aren't built to withstand the forces of turning.

I've heard the same. They are all I currently have which fit the bolt pattern. Downside of buying an old Dodge after a lifetime of GM is that all my spare parts fit GM vehicles of one sort or other.

I'm not arguing with you but I don't get the issue with trailer wheels. My 7,000# trailer has the exact same wheels. It goes down the road much faster and carrying a lot more weight than this old truck ever will.

spider cap.....

s-l500.jpg

Well huh, I thought I'd been around the block a few times but I don't believe I've ever seen those. Need to get out more perhaps, or open my eyes more when I am.

I've heard the same. They are all I currently have which fit the bolt pattern. Downside of buying an old Dodge after a lifetime of GM is that all my spare parts fit GM vehicles of one sort or other.

I'm not arguing with you but I don't get the issue with trailer wheels. My 7,000# trailer has the exact same wheels. It goes down the road much faster and carrying a lot more weight than this old truck ever will.

Ya the issue apparently happens on the front wheels when you turn. Changes the stress points. Like you I'm not sure I believe it either but I also wouldn't want anyone to find out the hard way.

• Like 1

Burgundy Red would look good with the silver. It's almost red, but different!  :P 

As for the "trailer wheels", if he don't plan to do motocross, it'd say he is a least fine for the time being!

DJ

Like Don, I have a set of similar chrome rims with chrome dog dish caps. I think the chrome would be a very good consideration especially with your unique color.  But WW's on a truck is debate able.

most trailer specific wheels are stamped on the back TRAILER USE ONLY....lets just say in an accident and following investigation it would not be a good for you if the forensic team finds wheels of questionable application..is it worth it...when turning the stress on the wheel if mounted on front of a vehicle is greatly amplified over that of a straight line pull trailer where the wheel pivot/turns on the bottom of the tread...I truly do not recommend using the trailer rim....

even lowly Walmart will not mount a passenger rated tire onto a TRAILER RIM.....

I like "chrome colors" also.

:)

DJ

Nope, busted. They are trailer wheels. My originals were shot and these are serving to move it and test drive (I live well off the beaten path) until I find suitable replacements. Since they've been on, the white is growing on me but I'm not sure.

Oh, and I'm not sure what you mean by spider caps.

Personally, I wouldn't spend the time or money, since they're temporary. I think a set of black stock wheels with beauty rings and/or hubcaps would like nice on your truck. If you're determined to paint them, I would go with black, chrome lugs, maybe with the beauty rings to separate the tire from the wheel. Post follow up pics whatever you decide.

Edited by deathbound
  • Like 1

Here is what Burgundy looks like on one of these trucks with trim rings and stock hub caps. Please note that this truck is not painted in one of the stock colors either. I started off with an off white rim and then tested cream but immediately settled on this color. IMO it works well and looks infinitely better than chrome or mag style wheels on an old work truck like this that is clearly not a Hot Rod.

Jeff

post-4710-0-59749300-1472393383_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

It's your truck, go with what you prefer and surprise us!  BUT, since you asked, you said those are temporary so I won't comment on generic white wagon wheel rims.  I like contrasting / complimentary colored solid rims, or artillery rims, on older cars.  Our D24 is plain ole gray with bright red rims.  I like the color of your truck, it's one of those colors that almost any other color would compliment, but I would trend towards a medium color, vs. too dark or too light.  I don't like the current fad of having rims too dark to tell what they even look like.  Red, orange, blue, green, maybe.  Your (or your significant other's) favorite color?     

Since it's been decided for you to to replace the wheels, paint each one a different color and see what looks good.

The real question is do you want the wheels to be predominant and stick out and look sporty and hot rod looking then go with a a bright contrasting color like red, or maroon which is a little quieter.  If they body color they will blend in and not be so noticeable. What always looks nice to if you have a contrasting wheel color is to bring the color onto the body somewhere. This could be  pin-striping or painting part of the body this color. Good design says that if you use a color in one place it should be repeated someplace else. 

This is your art and design lesson for the week.

• 2 months later...

red can look great on the right car (or truck)... I like the before picture...(more of a dark red) vs the newer bright red, (maybe it's just dirt?)

Pinstripes are neat and authentic, some of these old dodges (like your pickup) had red on the trim or hood ornaments too! ties it all together.

P1020066.JPG

IMG_0108.jpg

I've read this, and there's a lot of good natured humor in here. That's Great!!! Now, having said that, I must agree with Plymouthy Adams - he's 100% correct when he says that trailer wheels weren't designed for the stresses put upon them by a vehicle. In many states (including the one I reside in), they aren't legal, and could result in a substantial fine, impoundment of the vehicle until another set of wheels (with tires) are placed on the vehicle before it would be released from impound. The problems just aren't worth the risk to life and limb, nor to the wallet. Now, as to color of the final set of wheels - I'm going to cast my vote with Don Coatney's suggestion of the Irish Plaid. You've got to admit - it's different, it's distinctive, it's unique, and thus no one else will have anything even close to it. Thx.