Switching air cleaner attachment method?

casper50

I'm running dual BXVD's on my 230.  My custom air cleaner attaches via two tiny set screws, one on each carb top.  But, the tops of the carbs are angled so this method doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling of staying on.  Anyone know of a more secure method?

post-6321-0-45468700-1472230033_thumb.jpg

post-6321-0-77519300-1472230274_thumb.jpg

You can always drill 3  holes in each carb,add 2 more set screws,and let them all protrude through the air horn. If it were me and I was doing it,I'd tap the air horns so they were threaded,too.

You can always drill 3  holes in each carb,add 2 more set screws,and let them all protrude through the air horn. If it were me and I was doing it,I'd tap the air horns so they were threaded,too.

Agreed---I had the same single set screw set up and quickly learned that your concerns are valid.  I went to three set screws which improved the situation greatly but did not solve the problem 100%.  I finally went to 3 set screws and some loctite thread adhesive which has now worked for a couple thousand miles

Take a look at Mikes carburetor parts on line. Search for Holley 1904 parts air cleaner adapter. It converts the stock carter air horn to a single stud. I used one and bushed the adapter with a couple pieces of exhaust pipe to the right size opening for a mr gasket 6 inch 1 barrel air cleaner. Perfect solution. Some day when I put 2 carbs on I will get another set up like this.

http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Air-Cleaner-Adaptor_p_3016.html

tried and tested they fit perfect I had to modify the center stud for my taller air cleaners but they work well worth the $ and no risk of shavings floating around in yer carb

Edited by fordkustom

They said that they could not tell me if they would fit my BXVD-3 Strombergs unless I gave them the number on the tag.  None of the 3 Strombergs that I have, have a tag on them.  All BXVD-3's have the same air horn.  Stupid.  I just drilled and tapped two holes in the top of the airhorn on each.  Rock solid now.