'50 Plymouth Heater repair question...

bamfordsgarage

Friend Jerry is attempting to service the heater in his 1950 Plymouth, but we've hit a snag during disassembly — it seems prudent to tap into the collective wisdom of the P15-D24 community before we break something!

The inner shaft (green arrow below) is seized solid. In order to access the mechanism within, we needed to separate the inner metal housing from the main housing, easy done, and the core (blue arrow below) from the inner housing. That's the problem — the inner housing and core are acting as one permanently-sealed unit.

Is there a trick to splitting these two items? If we try much more pry-apart force we fear breaking something. If it is likely just 66 year old weatherseal "gluing" the two items together then I guess we keep working away at it and hope to not bust anything.

Suggestions?

post-1019-0-77043700-1471549986_thumb.jpg

From 50 parts book.

Appears just the seal is stuck. Maybe just a light heat to area of seal? #140,142,143,144 are seals.

DJ

post-3654-0-40988400-1471555498_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJ194950

Have you tried using a hair dryer or something similar to apply moderate heat to see if that will break the seal? I have a 2 range hand-held heat gun I bought years ago that has came in useful for separating a lot of odd things over the years.

Looks similar to my Chrysler. Thought this is quite a distance to try and blow warm air into the cabin.

It is the same on my 49 Dodge. When I first got the car I thought the set up was a bit strange. Now I think it was a great invention keeping the heater core out of the cabin.  The car stays cooler in the interior while driving in the summer heat than any of my other vintage car. 4 doors with with the windows down and the 5 vents in operation and it is like driving a motorcycle in the shade. Also it is always hot under the hood where the heater is, I imagine that also aids in heating the air.