1949 Plymouth - trouble removing master cylinder

Franklyn49

Hey guys,

Lost my brakes on my car a few weeks ago!

so of course parked it till I address the issue.

Cant seem to figure out what to do next to get my master cylinder out.

Just need some small pointers I'm sure...

I'm working from below the car

Here's where I'm at:

Jacked car up

Removed brake lines from M/C

Removed the three mounting bolts

Removed pedal return spring from pushrod

Removed brake pedal arm from pushrod

now the master cylinder is loose up in there,  but cant determine what needs to come off next to drop this thing out.

Brake pedal "pivot" is still attached to the m/c cant see how to disconnect this with such little space..

Thanks in advance

Hi Don,

I have indeed read up on servicing yes.

My intentions are to inspect my m/c and determine if I should rebuild or if a new one is in order.
Regardless, gotta get it out of the car first of course :)

I don't see anywhere in my shop manual where it outlines how to get it out of the car.  :confused: 

oh this helps a lot!

well thank you.
I don't know why my shop manual doesn't mention this anywhere??

it has beautiful descriptions on how to disassemble the master cylinder itself , but no mention of getting it out/removing floor pan etc.

I guess id have a question regarding removing the floor pan...

I cant picture it now, away from the car,  but will I have to disconnect the throttle linkage and remove the actual foot pads etc to get the pan out?

• Like 1

Frank, in your defense, my manual does not show nor explain how to remove the MC. These manuals vary in the details. When you lift the rug you should be able to see what is required, the foot panel reaches the MC. I didnt have to worry about that because my floor was toast. I'm piggybacking a Cherokee dual cylinder MC on this car. Then I am ready for disc brakes if and when. 

Best to you. 

while I will not disagree..but recall the manual is also the official shop repair guide and them guys had lifts and other factory tools at their disposal...a lift alone makes so many otherwise PITA procedures almost a cake walk...I just swapped leaf springs from one car to the other yesterday....lift made it great..the other car is on my car trailer and even that little bit of elevation was a relief to getting up and down from the floor/dirt ......I am seriously considering a second lift right now.

• Like 1

this is such great help folks.
thank you!

ALTHOUGH...

strangely enough, Im certain my linkage looks slightly different.
The clutch linkage and/or clutch pivot point seem to have no relation to the master cylinder on my car.
I have "blanked out" (in yellow) what IS NOT present in my car in the attached picture.

Maybe the fact that this is a Canadian 49 Plymouth presents a few small differences?

Ill get to work on taking the floor off regardless, this eve.

thanks again

post-2886-0-72483600-1471300512_thumb.jpg

Edited by Franklyn49

I think you'll find when you pull the floor pan, your clutch pedal will be like Don's picture. Also, with the floor pan out it's easy to do a lot of other things related to the clutch, brakes, and tranny & linkage. That way you don't have to get out of the car and crawl under when making adjustments to the tranny linkages, brakes or clutch.

Joe

In the 49 -52, it is only the brake pedal which pivots on the MC.  from what I read earlier, yours should fall right out of there.

You do not need to remove the floor  toe board panel and the information about 46 to 48 gas pedals, while correct is not applicable to 49.

Unfortunately the 49-50 Plymouths have the throttle linkage bolted ( from below) to the otherwise removal floor pan. It IS a real pain in the But_ !  to get at the bolts...  The pivot ball from the throttle peddle still needs to be unhooked to disconnect the parts though to remove the pan.

It will finally give you a good view of the Master Cyl.

DJ

• Like 1

as noted, several times, you do not need to remove the throttle linkage or the floor pan to remove the master cylinder.

The pedal arm will slide off the pivot and can stay in the car. the cylinder then comes out from underneath.

• Like 1

Yes shel_ny that what mine looks like.

I guess I assumed I could remove the pin and pull the master cyclist out from below the car without having to take the brake pedal arm with it.

While I WAS able to get the pushrod part of the brake pedal arm off, the larger pivot point isn't able to be slid out horizontally due to no clearance between the frame.

Haven't managed to get back to the car to get the floor out. But I'm sure all will come out easy one the floor pan isn't in the way.

So much help here thank you forum!

Hi Earl,

Yes that's going to be my set up on this 49 ply also.

I think I'm going to attempt what you and a few other have done here.

Leave the brake pedal "arm" on. But remove the foot pad.

And pull the M/C out from below with brake "arm" attached.

I understand that removing the floor would give me a way better view of everything.

But I see now this isn't nessecary with the frame mounted clutch.

Can't wait to get home!