losing an old friend (sorta)

ggdad1951

my favorite sub shop, the Big 10, is closing after 60 years of service to U of M (the good one, not the ugly helmets) due to developers forcing their way on campus and tearing down anything that isn't newer that 5 years old (it seems).  The last block of old buildings on campus is being razed for (yet another) glass/steel monstrosity that has plastic/generic retail on street level with overpriced student condos above.  All the charm is leaving campus and IMO the best damn subs on the planet....I might have to go for lunch there for the next 3 weeks just to get my fill before they close the doors.  

So many good memories, so many subs, so many friends, so much fun...  :(

• Like 1

yes...a good sub sandwich shop is hard to find...in my late teens and early 20's we had a restaurant couple miles from the house that made grinders...(D&K Pizza)....they were the best...then Baldino sub shops hit the market...they beat all the others hands down but yet the local shop closed...am sure the cost of rent was the issue or the fact they drew in the boundaries on the franchise for delivery cost ....I will not eat another sandwich from the Firehouse and Subway is only an alternative to fast food when traveling...so yeah...when a good shop closes...it is a loss....we still have one steak house that will cook you a steak for two...huge huge steak...this is the only place I have been where there is garlic powder on the table with the salt and pepper...still in business after I know 50 years...local icon...but is not local to me since I moved to GA from SC

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Mark not sure if your familiar with this place but the House of Wong restaurant in Roseville is facing the same thing. The strip mall they have been in since the 50s is going to be torn down. Last I heard they are trying to relocate but not finding a suitable location. Same thing happened to Totinos when they moved to NE and even though they did relocate the business didn't follow and they were closed a couple years later. Not a good situation. 

Guy's this is just the way of the world these days. It has been going on here for the last 25 years. All the Mom and Pop's get pushed out to make way for corporate crap & nonsense. I say scr@w um!........and don't spend any of your money at these chains. I'd rather go hungry myself than to go to Subway.

Jeff

I used to eat with my friends at the Big 10 every Wednesday evening when I was at the U.  I will miss that place!  It's been a while since I was on campus, but maybe an undisclosed plan to relocate to Dinkytown or the Corners?  Stadium Village was getting to almost impossible to get around with TCF Stadium rerouting University Ave and light rail making Washington Ave unpassable.

I used to eat with my friends at the Big 10 every Wednesday evening when I was at the U.  I will miss that place!  It's been a while since I was on campus, but maybe an undisclosed plan to relocate to Dinkytown or the Corners?  Stadium Village was getting to almost impossible to get around with TCF Stadium rerouting University Ave and light rail making Washington Ave unpassable.

sounds like higher education is really screwing up a lot of things

had lunch there on Thursday, talked to the owner.  He said no new location, he won't try to recreate something that special, he'll just do something else.

• 3 weeks later...

well sadly the auction was yesterday of the contents of the bar/resturant.  Sadly the stuff I REALLY wanted went for the price of a good project truck!  I don' thave that kind of cash laying around.  But I DID strike a side deal with the owner and got an awning....results below...and tonight I save the last one fromthe dumpster....no idea what I'dd do with it..but...

2016-09-06 19.48.18.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Captain Neon said:

Can I touch it?  I bet the big round table with matching bench in the corner went for a lot.  That's where my friends and I sat Wednesday nights.

I think that went for $225 or so and they didn't get it all....the back bench was built in.

the Maruicci sign went for $1400 and the chuck of hockey bench for $1500.  The outside sign went to the owner of Cambria for his toyland.  That auction raised some money.  Lots of things I wanted that I could just not afford and keep a happy woman in my life! :P

what it looked like stripped out below.

2016-09-08 17.13.26.jpg

2016-09-08 17.13.33.jpg