Engine turns 180 and stops

I took a closer look at my truck today. I had originally thought the engine was seized but looks more mechanical. I removed the radiator and put a wrench on the crank nut only a little resistance and it turned worked it back and forth slowly seem to be free but when I hit about 180 deg it stops. Just trying think what happens at this point any suggestions . I know I will need to at least pull the head and see what is happening but just hopping for a quick fix as I am working outside right now and did not want to get too involved.

Ed

Could be a stuck valve--really rusted in the valve guide.

I would drain the oil and drop the pan. See if anything is going on in the crankcase. I stuck valve will normally stick in the openposition allowing the lifter to move with the cam. I don't think it would be enough resistance to stop the engine from turning. Makes me think something is adrift in the crankshaft connecting rod area.

I have a '39 Dodge dumptruck that had a valve that was stuck to bad that the motor would turn past the point where the cam tried to open the valve. I remember an old time tell me that he had seen them seize so bad that when towing one it pushed the valveguide out. Don't know if that could really happen, but I guess anything is possible. Mike

Thanks for the input. The truck is outside back on some grass so pulling the pan is not a good option, could pull the head but I think the 1st option will be to remove the side plates that should give me a little better idea as to what is going on.

I have a '39 Dodge dumptruck that had a valve that was stuck to bad that the motor would turn past the point where the cam tried to open the valve. I remember an old time tell me that he had seen them seize so bad that when towing one it pushed the valveguide out. Don't know if that could really happen, but I guess anything is possible. Mike

I have had 2 or 3 engines that had valves stuck so bad that the engine would not turn over all the way. You can feel the chain tighten up as you just get to the point of the cam trying to push the valve up. Trying to get a really corroded/rusted vavle out is a real challengetoo!

Sure is. I had one that had been sitting on the ground with no pan for many many years. We had to take the cam out and put the motor upside down on some 2x4s. Drove the vales out with a punch from underneath! We also had to cut the clutch apart in little chunks because the tranny was so stuck in the clutch.

I would suspect a broken crank or a broken rod.

Mo,

Just another thought if you have not solved it by now. Could be a broken valve head sitting on top of a piston.

However I recently tore down a 265 with a blown head gasket that had coolant sitting in the cylinders for years. I had to pound (read this 3lb. hammer) all the valves out of the guides due to rust. So with some rotation it may only be 1 or 2 stuck valves.

N B R

I`ve done the same several times too!

Bob