Steering Wheel Assembly

weasel
Go to solution Solved by weasel,

I am starting to get  My steering wheel ready to put back on my 49 B1.

I need a drawing of the assemble process if anyone has one. what springs go were etc.

If someone could tell me the order of installing everything on I would really appreciate it.

Thanks Dave

Putting it all back together is fairly simple.  Put the steering wheel on, then the horn ring hold down, tighten that up - and good luck lining up the horn ring spokes.  Then make sure you run the horn wire wire through all of the components, the steering tube and out of the steering box before you finish the process.  Tie the horn wire to something outside the steering box so it can't pull out while you are working on the other end.

Pilothouse steering wheel.pdf

Pilothouse steering wheel.pdf

• Solution

The picture is different than the wheel in my b1.

One end of my big spring is open the other end has metal cap.{with hole}

Does the open end sit on the horn ring hold down plate?

After getting the wire through the steering tube, do you then press the locking plate into the steering wheel plate a turn it until snaps in place.

I'm lost after that point? The kit I got also has a wire ring? May go into slots in bottom of horn button?

Also does the steering tube have a metal cap on it to hold the steering shaft in the center of the tube.

This was all apart when I got my truck so its very confusing to me?

Edited by weasel

The B-1 horn button assembly is different than the improved B-3 horn button assembly as the B-1 uses a lock ring seated in a groove to hold the button to the 3-eared plate; the B-3 button has threaded inserts for the horn ring to be attached with screws to hold the button to the 3-eared plate.  The B-1 horn button design was not as robust as the B-3 button as the bakelite would break at the groove and the sprung button would eject into the driver's face.  If ya look close, you can see a chunk of the horn button still floating around in the steering wheel of the '48...

large.sm100_1066.jpg.d619d24d79738092f2834cb3fb444a48.jpg

large.sm100_1067.jpg.81978d77c8b0aac4d47877ccae66560b.jpg

large.sm100_1068.jpg.f126b81da266ef116ef6ecfca54b87ed.jpg

Edited by JBNeal
revised pictures
  • Like 2

• 5 years later...