1949 & 1950 Chrysler & Desoto Radiator Photo Request

James_Douglas

Hi All,

I just received a core radiator for my 1949.  Old, but the frame and tanks are in good shape. The honeycomb is shot.

I noticed however that the mounting brackets, soldered or welded to the frame sides are slightly different. 

Can owners of 1949 (send series) and 1950 Chrysler & Desoto's do me a favor?

I would like to see a photo the upper side mounting bracket on the radiator.

On one of mine the bracket itself (not the frame side) is a straight part.  On the other after the top bolt hole it curves toward the rear.  Odd, very odd.

So, some comparison photos would help me figure out it one of mine is wrong, or if they just used different ones at different times in production.  They are both otherwise correct.

Details and details...

Thanks, James.

Have you tried to fit it into the cradle to see how it sits? The brackets may be bent like that for a reason.

I have seen pics of 1940's Chryslers that appear to have different shaped radiators for the 6 & 8 cylinder versions, the 8's appear to have a much wider radiator, I would assume that the 8 cylinder De Soto also had the wider radiator too...... no 8 cylinder mopars were available ex factory here in Oz from the post war period so I can't offer any local pics to help but am interested to see if the 6/8 thing is a reason for the differences.........regards, andyd  

I have seen pics of 1940's Chryslers that appear to have different shaped radiators for the 6 & 8 cylinder versions, the 8's appear to have a much wider radiator, I would assume that the 8 cylinder De Soto also had the wider radiator too...... no 8 cylinder mopars were available ex factory here in Oz from the post war period so I can't offer any local pics to help but am interested to see if the 6/8 thing is a reason for the differences.........regards, andyd  

Shown are both a 1942-48 Chrysler eight cylinder radiator (Huge/odd shaped ) and a 1950 Chrysler Eight cylinder radiator similar to theChryslerr and DeSoto six cylinder radiator.

post-302-0-01017000-1469803532_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-23149900-1469804131_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Thanks Dodgeb4ya..........interesting that Chrysler went to a more normal shaped radiator for 1950(probably from 49 also)........I'd hate to be paying for a 42-48 radiator now.........lol............thanks, andyd

Glad to help andyd...

Yes those huge1942-48 straight eight radiators are hard to find and big bucks to buy and repair if needed!

Bob

If your in the Northwest or want to send it to them, Seattle Radiator Works does anitque radiators for a resonable price. They can get cores as well. My heater core & radiator where twisted & clogged $425.00 plus free pressure check. 

The closest radiator shop to where I live is over 50 miles away,and won't even give me an estimate on how much it would cost to get a radiator for a flat 6 51 Ford recored. Says his books don't cover it,and I need to pull the radiator and bring it in so he can see and measure it.

WTH ever heard of a radiator shop that can't look up a core for a 51 Ford? Radiators and heater boxes are all he does.