Old Truck Noise

hey all, had my old Fargo out yesterday, was quite windy and warm, so windows down, vent open.

Now these trucks seem to have the aerodynamics of a barn door, y truck is partially insulated and sound deadened with "poor mans" dynamat, carpet on the floor, door panels.

She is still a noisy old beast, driving into the wind at 65 mph, gotta do some more work on her to quiet things down more.

I also had a ride in a Chrysler car last night, it had the headliner and panels, but floor only mats, it was so much quieter and a softer ride, but it's a car.

My truck handles and steers well, and is not having too much driveline noise but do have a 6 blade fan.

I would need to do some suspension softening and more sound control, before I ever ventured out on a long trip, but she is a Truck....LOL

Well on mine, could use new door rubber, and more sound deadener.

At some point want to take apart all the leaf springs, and remove a spring from each "pak", as well as make sure all pivots,hangers, shackles are good too.

These are trucks, ride like trucks, and do not expect them to ride and sound like even the cars of the same period, but making improvements never hurt anything...

Maybe my daily is loud, but FEF at 55mph windows down cowl vent open isn't bad at all in my oponion.

Yeah, only odd noise in FEF comes from the passengers weight in the seat :D

• Like 1

I have two thick floor mats , a thick insulated foam type head liner-top and sides and well stuffed seats with a 4.30 rear end and a smooth running 265 1 BBL engine.

Also a six bladed fan with the smaller WP pulley and it's not bothersome or that noisy.

I don't feel the need to insulate it any more.

My 4 tonner has a lot of for it normal engine and drive train noise. It should have.. a 6.42 rear end in high range.

I replaced all of the weather stripping, used GTMat (less expensive than other products) with EZ Cool () over it.  I put GTMat, then two layers of EZ Cool on the roof.  Behind and under the seat, I have the GTMat, one layer of EZ Cool and then I added the 3/8" thick, anti-fatigue mat from Harbor Freight.

It is quieter, but I haven't had a chance to see how well it does on a long drive in the heat, and I will need winter weather to really know how well it will do.  However, I do now this much - if it rains really hard, the water getting past the new window gaskets will probably drown me...

I replaced all of the weather stripping, used GTMat (less expensive than other products) with EZ Cool () over it.  I put GTMat, then two layers of EZ Cool on the roof.  Behind and under the seat, I have the GTMat, one layer of EZ Cool and then I added the 3/8" thick, anti-fatigue mat from Harbor Freight.

It is quieter, but I haven't had a chance to see how well it does on a long drive in the heat, and I will need winter weather to really know how well it will do.  However, I do now this much - if it rains really hard, the water getting past the new window gaskets will probably drown me...

That sounds quieter from here ....LOL

It certainly will make a difference, and plan on doing more to my truck too.

Years ago, had a 64 Chevy truck, and put carpet on the floor, and could not believe how much quieter it was...

• Like 1

That sounds quieter from here ....LOL

It certainly will make a difference, and plan on doing more to my truck too.

Years ago, had a 64 Chevy truck, and put carpet on the floor, and could not believe how much quieter it was...

In the 80's I put red shag carpet in my b3b, Looking back I thought it was silly.... Until I bought by b3hh, remnants of green shag carpet still exist. :D

• Like 1

Charlie Stephenson here, friend needs a Fargo tail gate, another friend needs WC front fenders.  They don't have computers, I'm working on that issue.  "I know ---- Go to Classifieds " it's early ( Brain Fog). 

Charlie Stephenson here, friend needs a Fargo tail gate, another friend needs WC front fenders.  They don't have computers, I'm working on that issue.  "I know ---- Go to Classifieds " it's early ( Brain Fog). 

Good Luck on the Fargo Tail gate, they can be a challenge to find.

Try this guy, moparmansteve@gmail.com, he is located near Winnipeg Manitoba.

or this guy too kevin@higgelec.com, he is 3 hours west of Winnipeg

• Like 1

On all four of the trucks I've owned I've always sound proofed them.

Add Dynamat style sound proofing to the floor, up cab side of the fire wall and cab roof.

Take off inner door panels and add sound proofing just a large square will do you don't need to do the whole inside of the door.

Try and make sure all the holes where wires and cables pass through the firewall are sealed up as much possible.

I buy a couple of metres of black automotive carpet and just cut to size. I try and use it as far up the firewall as I can.

If you haven't got a headliner it will definitely be noisy.

It's not just wind noise it's also the booming of all the metal panels the noise just echoes and vibrates all the metal. By deadening as much of the metal panels as possible it stops a lot of noise in the cab.

I've just finished my 45 last week.

post-9046-0-87390800-1467574733_thumb.jpeg

Your friend might need to buy a Dodge tailgate without the script . They are available new . Then either paint on FARGO himself or leave it blank . Fiberglass fenders are also available new . Sometimes the steel enders show up used on ebay but they can be expensive .