12 volt convention with a dodge alternator

yes I did my truck way back when it was stock I used an alternator from a 80s Dodge car you have to change to negative ground change the bulbs ,voltage reducers on motors like fans, electric wipers I changed the coil to a 12 volt one from the car I got the alternator from the starter worked fine for 9 years, I got the wiring diagram for the truck and the car to compare the two vehicles wiring to see what wires to use there almost the same if I remember right,

Well that's good, I'm still not a big fan of the mopar...but I also needed 100 amp minimum for all my accessories and that's even more $ if you can get in mopar. I even switched my car to the 1 wire GM for the same reason.

Have you re-wired the truck as well? One nice thing is you can run lighter gauge wire then the 6 volt system, and bulbs are easier to find and adding accessories is much easier. I converted my truck over from day 1, as I needed all new wiring anyway.

Edited by 4mula-dlx

I used the internally regulated GM alternator on both of my conversions.

I have a 1 wire 100 amp mopar alternator from tuff stuff now, external regulated mopar are only 3 wire anyway I got that one from a friend for free now with the V/8 and all the other stuff I too needed more amps (sorry mopar stuff in a mopar) what can I say !

• Like 1

1,200 watts of accessories? Do you have a portable disco club in there or something?

Actually more..so I'm over if everything is on at the same time...1000 watts in amplifiers alone...+ add the stereo deck itself, the lights (thankfully all low draw now), all electric gauges and senders, and turn the heat on..and you've got a HUGE draw on my system. My car is more like 1300-1400 watts possible stereo draw, but I only run one cheaper subwoofer in it, so it never draws anywhere near peak, but the truck will be using most everything it has when I'm trying to be obnoxious LOL

When I ran the stock alt in my Monaco, you couldn't run he stereo with the lights on...it would cut the amp out and cause the headlights to be way too dim and flash while driving....what can I say...I'm from a younger generation that grew up in stereo competitions...nothing else to do up here, but play hockey and play with cars LOL

Actually more..so I'm over if everything is on at the same time...1000 watts in amplifiers alone...+ add the stereo deck itself, the lights (thankfully all low draw now), all electric gauges and senders, and turn the heat on..and you've got a HUGE draw on my system. My car is more like 1300-1400 watts possible stereo draw, but I only run one cheaper subwoofer in it, so it never draws anywhere near peak, but the truck will be using most everything it has when I'm trying to be obnoxious LOL

When I ran the stock alt in my Monaco, you couldn't run he stereo with the lights on...it would cut the amp out and cause the headlights to be way too dim and flash while driving....what can I say...I'm from a younger generation that grew up in stereo competitions...nothing else to do up here, but play hockey and play with cars LOL

:eek: You actually try?.........OMG! :rolleyes:

In the real world....... a 50 A single wire will easily handle anything you would ever care to have connected. Including a 4 speaker 200 watt stereo. These cabs are relatively small and if you do a good job of soundproofing 200 watts is overkill. I have every original accessory you can fit in one of these trucks plus a lot of modern upgrades. The Quality Power 6V alternator I installed keeps up with no problem at all. In my experience it is a fit and forget upgrade. ;)

Jeff

I wouldn't enjoy your truck Jeff, and I'm sure you wouldn't enjoy mine...it's not about what you can deal with and use, it's about each individual's preference. A 6V system would be useless to me, and I don't really care for originality and that's ok...I NEED 100 amps and I use every bit of it when everything is on. I also have more cab insulation then most, so I'm well covered on all avenues

I wouldn't enjoy your truck Jeff, and I'm sure you wouldn't enjoy mine...it's not about what you can deal with and use, it's about each individual's preference. A 6V system would be useless to me, and I don't really care for originality and that's ok...I NEED 100 amps and I use every bit of it when everything is on. I also have more cab insulation then most, so I'm well covered on all avenues

There is a huge difference between want....... and need. I would venture to say that most of us don't need anything like that. What you are talking about is certainly at an extreme.

I fully admit I have trouble understanding where you are coming from most of the time. From your postings it doesn't seem as if you like much at all about the way these trucks were built. I gotta wonder why you even started off with one?

Jeff

I hear that off and on with my cars....I basically state I like the body style and the look of the era but that is where it stop...the flathead does nothing for me...95% of my cars did not even come with engines and the few that did only a couple are worthy of keeping stoc k so cutting a rusted out incomplete car bothers me none in the least...I provide stock parts to those that want to stay stock so  WIN WIN if you got the right outlook....many folks don't care for what and how I upgrade but that is not their call.  We each are in this hobby for our own reason...got our own idea on how it is to look and how it should drive/perform....plenty of room for all builds....including the X powered one..just don't ask me to say anything nice about them either...for the stock guy who strive to keep their cars that way..my hat is off to you and I wish you well.....we will not even go into paint and body.... :rolleyes:

Why so touchy about body and paint? Seems to me the original paint is where all the best history is.

As long as that original paint is still serving its functional purpose to protect the metal under it and thus keep oxidation to an acceptable rate. If not, then either paint it, put the vehicle in a humidity controlled storage container or watch if deteriorate at a fairly rapid rate.

oxidation.png

There is a huge difference between want....... and need. I would venture to say that most of us don't need anything like that. What you are talking about is certainly at an extreme.

I fully admit I have trouble understanding where you are coming from most of the time. From your postings it doesn't seem as if you like much at all about the way these trucks were built. I gotta wonder why you even started off with one?

Jeff

You must be one of those guys that walk around a car show asking why guys did "that" to the vehicle, but take a moment to remember it's THEIR build, and they never thought of you for a second while building it...just as I did. I never considered what anybody else on here wanted...I built what I wanted and what I deemed suited me. I enjoy music, all types (except country) and I like bass, and grew up building stereos for myself and many buddies.

As for driving these trucks like the day they rolled off the line, you can have it...and by the looks of most of the posts on this forum, there are more then 1/2 that are all looking to upgrade on what's there, and making their build more enjoyable, and above all safer. You enjoy your 6volt and your double clutching and your lower speeds...ill stick to my quiet ride, 2300 RPM at 70mph and the many many other upgrades that make this truck mine.

• Like 1

Hey, nothing like being told you don't like your choice in builds , because it doesn't suit somebody else ;). I've said it many times on this forum, everyone builds what they want, and that's the only way to enjoy this game, if your building to please others, your going to end up dissapointed.

• 5 weeks later...